706. Laserblast (1978)

I didn’t realize the Laserblast alien was also in a hit film.

5 Likes

Best of Eddie Deezen.

3 Likes

Alien Scenes from Laserblast (1978).

2 Likes

The ribbing they give Leonard Maltin is great and an all time classic part of a segment.

5 Likes

This remains my favorite of the “final” episodes. Can’t wait to see how it stacks up against the next final episode!

4 Likes

Even if this wasn’t such a monumental episode, this would still be a classic to me!

Another one of those Ponderous 70s Movies loaded with typical 70s jaded cynicism, it’s a fun idea that often takes itself way too seriously. This makes it a perfect riff target. Mike and The Bots go after it exceptionally well! (perhaps upping their already strong game since they weren’t entirely sure if they would still be going after this)

Trace Beaulieu signed-off in style here. This end of an era is definitely one that’s worth checking out for all fans!

2 Likes

Worse making-out scene?

• Laserblast: Dirtbag McLaserarm and his chick in the dirt outside his Chevy van
  • Mitchell: JDB, Linda Evans and something involving baby oil

0 voters

4 Likes

And I have to give a shoutout to those adorable stop motion aliens! They are the best thing about this movie!

“Well… did you?”

5 Likes

Sorry, gotta go with Mitchell and the baby oil. Puke-o-rama.

6 Likes

What a sadistic choice.

I love those guys! I want to see their movie!

6 Likes

They didn’t know how to sell this thing, did they? “It’s so crazy. You won’t believe the adventure!”

Boy whines in small town, occasionally murders people with space gun.

By the way, if you want a GOOD version of this story, read the sci-fi short story “The Ray Gun: A Love Story”, about a kid who finds a weapon and considers the possibility of it and it guides his life indirectly and ironically, he never uses it.

4 Likes

The funniest part of this is “hit film”. Nice find Squid but hit film floors me!

4 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned this before but I actually saw this as a kid at the drive in. It was the late feature after some flop called Star Wars. I wonder what ever became of that movie? :rofl:

3 Likes

As an episode I love it! Eddie Deezen, are you ready for some football, sheet cake, the lab tech with hips! Oh so much fun here! Would’ve been a great series ender, but for that fairly new network called Sci-Fi.

3 Likes

If I’ve said it once I’ll say it again this movie makes me think of sheet cake and back fat.

1 Like

Oh and also that lab tech was Mrs Joe Don baker.

2 Likes

This movie should’ve been Clueless meets Men In Black, with a flourish of Ghost World and centered on Cathy and her supposedly unattractive buddy with the pool. After their boring summer job days of making and selling sheet cakes at the supermarket, they spend evenings hunting aliens in the desert: evading that creepy Government guy, Billy, the doofy Sheriff, and assorted other annoying dudes. They probably just want to help the aliens get home before the authorities find them.

3 Likes

Apparently, Leonard Maltin gave this movie two and a half stars out of four. My guess is that it’s due to David Allen’s stop motion aliens, which are a cut above the special effects typical of the movies screened on MST3K. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least half of the film’s budget went to that, with a considerable chunk of the other half being used to hire Roddy McDowall and Keenan Wynn for relatively minor roles.

Those two and a half stars certainly aren’t representative of things like plot or character. What passes for these involve chump protagonist Billy, who is constantly harassed by the local bully and his sycophant toady (with the latter portrayed by a typecast Eddie Deezan), as well as a couple of buffoonish deputies. Though he doesn’t elicit much sympathy on account of him being kind of a jerk. In a hugely contrived manner, he uncovers an alien energy weapon out in the desert and sporadically uses it on those he sees as having wronged him. For some reason, it occasionally transforms him into what can be best described as an emaciated Incredible Hulk. There’s also some government agent who just kind of trails around not really adding anything to what passes for the narrative. Which boils down to random death and destruction without point, much like the previous two movies.

I personally consider the host segments of Season 7 to be pretty hit and miss (a sentiment I’m sure puts me in a minority). But this time around the Brains are firing on all cylinders. It seems that whenever there’s a major shake-up, it encourages them to bring their creative A game. These includes parodies of the Star Trek episode “The Changeling” (which was quite silly in its original form when you think about it) and the incomprehensible ending to 2001. The one that really sticks to mind though is where they travel through a field of star babies. Probably because the first time I saw it, I misheard the line where it was announced that one of them had the ship. Let’s just say that the diaper-changing aspect (featuring some creative puppetry) helped reinforce my misperception.

3 Likes

@CLANG_Potroast Laserblast (1978). “Some of the best work they’ve ever done”?

2 Likes

@optiMSTie Is this or Diabolik (1968) the greater series ender?

2 Likes