801. Revenge of the Creature (1955)

I’d never think to judge anything of the sort. Trace, Bill, Hampton, Kelsey - whoever’s your fave, it’s all good!

Same deal with any of the hosts, the Servos, the GPCs, the Mads, anything. Enjoy what you enjoy, and unabashedly so!

7 Likes

When are you not in a Universal horror picture? Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, The Creature…they’re all infinitely more likable than the human choads that somehow end with the girl.

But, seriously, ladies, I ask you…

7 Likes

Well thanks to this thread I watched it again tonight and it was just as rough as the last time :rofl:

Gillman’s only crime was being unique, a fish out of water you might say

7 Likes

The answer: is the man and the monster are just two aspects of the same domineering jerky guy, and we don’t even get to pick our poison. The crappy script does it for us. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

And that’s the key to their continued appeal. When we watched them all recently I was suprised (again) at how well they hold up.

2 Likes

Right with you. The fairy tale timelessness, the pain the monsters suffer through, the novelty of the movies, and the nonstop amusement they give is much of it. A good share of them appeal how King Kong (1933) or The Wizard of Oz (1939) appeal. The fantasy at their center draws kids and kids at heart to this very day.

2 Likes

I would note that it’s hard to root for The Invisible Man.

3 Likes

Claude Rains lifts tons in his vocal voiceover. As a boy, I found him captivating. The humor James Whale injects into this vengeance tale lightens Griffin into a Jim Carrey character for much of the story. He eventually murders and ruthlessly and by then the feelings are mixed. I’ll argue Rains drenches his persona in sympathy along with the madness.

4 Likes

Maybe not, but’s he’s a lot of fun to watch! :smiley: Er, not watch. Unwatch?

3 Likes

I said the same. The fun you have with him scales back any disgust till he kills Kemp in the car. Prior to that William Harrigan is less approachable than Rains.

2 Likes

Bobo was at least superficially competent during Revenge of the Creature. It was Doctor Peanut who was the obviously stupid one. Bobo got progressively stupider over time.

7 Likes

Same is true with Conor, who is also killing it.

6 Likes

I noticed something while watching Back to the Future Part III tonight. In the scene where Marty realizes that Doc hasn’t heard of Clint Eastwood yet, there’s a poster in the scene that explains why.

8 Likes

That was a deep dive pre-internet! I wonder who on the production team knew?

4 Likes

This installment goes all in with the King Kong formula, as the Creature gets captured by an expedition and hauled off to a Sea World type facility for study. Of course, he ends up lusting after cute blonde ichthyology grad student Helen. So, after he escapes, he makes a point to pursue and eventually capture her. Though considering that she was in a romantic relationship with a character portrayed by John Agar, it might have been a change for the better.

As an actor, John Agar was okay in supporting roles (as in Women of the Prehistoric Planet). But whenever he was the lead, he always played it as a condescending and smug chauvinist. I’m not certain if it’s because he always got typecast in such roles or if he chose to perform them in that fashion. Regardless, if his name gets top billing in a movie, it’s not a good sign.

2 Likes