802. The Leech Woman (1960)

Pineal glands get somewhat often mention in our house.

4 Likes

Sort of a cross between The Picture of Dorian Gray, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and just about any serial killer story (though with a woman as the perpetrator). The problem is that none of the major characters are all that engaging, as they are predominantly hateful, or at best just stupid.

I would have gone with, “You are the one I see in my dreams of blood!”

4 Likes

“Out of Africa!”

“No, there’s more in the trunk.”

3 Likes

Watching The Leech Woman, I’m reminded of a riff from another MST3K episode, Tormented: “This is one dark mammajamma of a movie, guys.”

The whole thing is centered around loathing, pain, betrayal, and death. And to the gang’s credit, they make it hilarious.

It was like watching a short about train safety or the circus stretched out to feature-film length, and it worked.

5 Likes

FUN FACT: the creep Jerry was played by Arthur Bantanides…

… who also played the palooka Danny in Season 3’s The Unearthly!

3 Likes

Though she also had to be slow on the uptake, so the title character could get away and the rest of the movie could happen.

4 Likes

Also of note: I like how we got a reference to none other than Manos itself when Servo remarked on how the music near the end sounded like “the Torgo theme!”

It was neat to get those unexpected references to the Comedy Central era, like the “YOU’RE STUCK HERE!” callback to Fugitive Alien when #806, The Undead, rolled around.

2 Likes

I really liked the name Neil for one of our children but this completely axed it from contention.

This is a really entertaining episode. Yet another Season 8 gem. I intersperse “Real Africa! Hollywood Africa!” when I riff on other movies and shows.
Because who here doesn’t do that on their own.

7 Likes

[does not raise his hand as if to indicate that he does, in fact, do that on his own]

5 Likes

My wife and I have a habit of singing “Stock footage!” at the tv whenever we see particularly obvious examples.

6 Likes

That’s a good stinger choice!

Stinger-wise, I would also be keen on the inexplicable wonky physics of the tribesmen falling -toward- the dynamite blast.

4 Likes

JEEEEEEEEEED!!!

3 Likes

*Fridge

3 Likes

You can understand why I had to stop and take/edit this picture 4 years ago.

8 Likes

EVERY TIME I watch this episode, right after “dreams of blood” I urge Malla to turn around and find LITERALLY ANY OTHER doctor. She knows she’s bringing death into her village and goes right ahead anyway! Maybe she didn’t really miss it all that much?

6 Likes

I always just assumed Dr. No-Acting was the only one practicing this kind of thing. Or maybe there’s someone else in Shanghai or Geneva who does, but she can’t afford to go there.

3 Likes

:smiley:
Indeed I do.

You make me so proud.

5 Likes

It was nice to see them settle into season 8 here, but this is a so- so episode for me. Strong start and finish but the stock footage in Africa in the middle slows this one down for me. I am a big fan of Coleen Gray. She was a terrific character actor that was in many tv shows and movies (including The Phantom Planet)! And Grant Williams was excellent in The Incredible Shrinking Man. But season 8 really picked up steam in 803-The Mole People.

2 Likes