803. The Mole People (1956)

Two miscellaneous notes:

1. The stinger seemed a bit… down-ish? Not sure I would’ve gone with The Load tripping and falling down right before getting mauled to death. I probably would’ve gone with something from that goofy dance scene.

2. Season 11 brought a wild selection of guest stars into the MST3Kverse, but before then, the show was never really one of those series that was about having guest stars take part in the wackiness. But MST3K got a rare pre-Season 11 guest spot (the only other big guest star in that era being Leonard Maltin) from none other than Minnesota Vikings running back Robert Smith as Howard, the subservient mute gift to the Lawgiver!

9 Likes

803 Promos.

2 Likes

how you feel about “load” is how I feel about Space Mutiny, Agent From H.A.R.M. and other Sci-Fi eps where they beat a joke into the ground. This really started getting bad in Revenge of the Creature.

3 Likes

Which joke in Creature did they keep repeating all through the film? I honestly don’t remember.

2 Likes

Tributary to the Upper Amazon, a laundry list of celeb names that is never ending.

4 Likes

lol. See, that doesn’t bother me much because its over about five minutes into the movie. (I think. I don’t rewatch that one very much.) The reason I think the Many Names Of Ryder (points to username) are funny is because they’re picking on someone their own size, and at least there’s some energy there and an attempt to be creative. On the other hand:

4 Likes

To me, it goes back to Castle of Fu Manchu: “We could have made better jokes, but the movie wasn’t very good” :wink:

2 Likes

Trailers From Hell. Eli Roth on The Mole People (1956).

1 Like

I’ve always loved Pearl’s face at the very end of that segment, thanks for showing it!

4 Likes

Crow’s Mile High Merangue Pie is still my favorite host sketch ever. I was dying the first time I saw it!

5 Likes

Such a great episode! For me this is one of the highlights of Season 8. The first Classic Episode of the Sci-Fi era.

4 Likes

The reason I can keep revisiting this one:
It’s so early in the Sci-Fi run, it gives the feeling of something fresh to come in future episodes. Like everything’s brand new.

I kinda get this vibe from 801, but not from 802 or 804. But 805, that’s gold.

4 Likes