805. The Thing That Couldn't Die (1958)

Exactly. This is my motive of exposing titles that don’t deliver in the open. The 50s and early 60s were particularly bad at this.

2 Likes

805 is my maiden encounter with Sci-Fi era MST3K. The experiment and revelry were what I wanted. The stinger and story-centric Host Segments bothered me. It felt self-important or too busy for its own good. I would get over it though the Brain Guys as the last beat stills feels like a missed chance to punch the film one more time.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! And that’s doing it with style!

Yeah, in a movie THIS silly (to say nothing of The Undead, Terror from the Year 5000, and The She Creature), to not go with a conventional stinger felt like a wasted opportunity.

The serialized host segments, though? They do grow on ya over time.

3 Likes

It’s hard to pin down why the uncertainty. You grow accustomed to a format and subconsciously it is a safe place and you rely on that predictability when experiencing it. Sci-Fi MST advanced on me slowly. The changes and slight shifts I had to come to grips with. Incredibly Strange Creatures (1964) kicked away my reservations, Girl in Gold Boots (1968) wooed me at hello, and The Pumaman (1980) destroyed my remaining ambivalence. Comedy Central so defined my appreciation years flew by ahead of completely accepting it. I regret that. These Season 8 Universals I’m smitten with now and this episode I hold a special place for and what I hesitated on makes me smile. The power of the program.

7 Likes

This is probably my favorite episode after 817- The Horror of Party Beach. This is the first WHOLE episode I saw. I was working Saturdays as a pizza deliver driver while in college. I usually only saw the last hour of each episode. I called off one Saturday and saw this episode from the start. The riffs while the big, dumb guy is holding the head are classic.

Favorite riff:

Must drive head to convience store…smokes…and dove bar!

5 Likes

Have I mentioned how much I love season eight? I discovered the show in season eight and almost every episode holds a very special place with me!

6 Likes

Hey Bruce, how about we change it up and do a season 10 episode? 1007- Track of the Moon Beast.

2 Likes

The “Trayzhure” beyond “mayzhure” is a riff we pull out any time someone mentions treasure. Or measuring.

We also regularly reference the Aunt Flavo-Rite/Aunt Flava Flav/etc.

12 Likes

Sure. I wrote one for 801 this morning. Haven’t posted it yet. That’ll land early Thursday Morning. After Revenge of the Creature (1955), my next topic will be 1007. It was in my crosshairs anyway. A lizard monster and stew? Why not? I’m also deliberating Hamlet (1961). What a unique MST that is.

2 Likes

Hamlet… The awkward, out-of-touch, threadbare-yet-pretentious kid who nobody at summer camp will befriend except me. Because I’m all about being awkward, out-of-touch, and threadbare-pretentious, too. :grin:

4 Likes

Come on, you’re such a Hamlet poser! We’ve all seen you, all graceful and doing the Tik Tok with the kids, being all glamorously unassuming and stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never been able to psyche myself up enough to watch Hamlet. One of these days I need to take a few shots and force myself to take the plunge.

2 Likes

YouTube has at least one compilation of possible alternative stingers for a lot of the episodes, which is especially nice for the SyFy episodes that are just Observer brains. It’s all subjective on the part of the compiler, of course, but still fun.

2 Likes

Thanks again Bruce! Re-living these episodes has been enjoyable!

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Track of the Moonbeast

Of course, there is The Thing that never seemed to die no matter how many victims it assimilated.

3 Likes

One question I have about this movie is how evil could Gideon have been when he was basically a Puritan? Disdaining alcohol at the very least. Doesn’t scream “be evil and have a great time!” to me.

3 Likes

Same here! My folks would tape episodes for me while I was away at college and sans cable TV. Good times.

4 Likes

It was good times! Season 8 will always hold a special place in my heart. I’d just discovered Mst3K and life was simple!

4 Likes

This was one where I kept expecting every single greedy person to be killed by the end. The filmmakers really spared quite a number of these people.

So by the end of the film, will Jessica stop being such a negative-Nancy, and just go off and be a good wife to Gordon…or does he not realize she’s going to be hen-pecking him about evil stuff being everywhere?

• “Don’t get that meat on sale…it’s evil!”
  • “That mailman, don’t talk to him…he’s evil!”
  • “I don’t want that puppy, it’s evil!”
4 Likes

“Hey, a Kan-don’t-sky”

One of the great episodes IMHO, steady laughs throughout… they lean on the running gags effectively.

• Servo breaking into the song “Jessica” every time someone says “Jessica”
  • Teasing Aunt Flavia (her name and her pronunciations)
  • Variations on songs from Oklahoma (“There’s a thick yellow stain on my back brace!”)
  • And of course, EVIL!
8 Likes