810. The Giant Spider Invasion (1975)

A Bill Rebane reminiscence from 2019…

And an article about the theft of the spider from 2013…

5 Likes

Seconded.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a good performance per say, but I do love Alan Hale in this

5 Likes

He’s fun. His energy is the antidote to Robert Easton’s black hole of a schmuck. They are two extremes in a light goofy picture which flirts with nastiness while putting on a happy face.

7 Likes

Say what one will, but Dan Kester is a very wise man.

After all, shouldn’t we all “lay off the Boooze!” from time to time!

An inspiration!

3 Likes

I agree. It’s my favorite episode because of the Wisconsin references.

5 Likes

I wish his shirt was closed though!

3 Likes

Doughy Guy reading letter:
Dear chunk-head…now thats not nice!

2 Likes

if only she was 100 years younger…nah

1 Like

FYI, if anyone is able to get to this in the next week or two:

4 Likes
5 Likes

Age or no age. It wouldn’t effect her boozing.

2 Likes

@amass79 Heavyweight MST3K? As good as its rep?

1 Like

A stone cold MST3K classic! PACKERS!

6 Likes

Ya know booze is good food!

4 Likes

I was watching an episode of The Munsters and saw a couple of familiar faces, including our favorite backbrace model. (The other guy sells vans.)

4 Likes

For me, probably any random segment of Monster A-Go-Go.

[woman groans suggestively after monster sighting]

Tom: [disturbingly interested] “Why, General…”

2 Likes

Re-watching this in the Tube Room and it suddenly occurred to me: it’s really Mike who saves the galaxy by urging Bobo on against The Evil Zucchini. Poor Mike. Such heroism but he still has to hear for the rest of his life about those 2-3 planets he accidentally blew up. So unfair. :angry:

5 Likes

And in the first two cases, he was more of an accessory.

2 Likes

This one’s a top 5 episode for me, though I’ve lived in Wisconsin my entire life while definitely clashing against some of the local culture so it’s easy to love all the location specific riffing. Even so, there’s so much going on here with so many odd characters, strange scenes, tacky effects, etc. that it’s hard not to love even if all the WI stuff goes over your head.

And the riffing, my goodness they are just savage to everyone here, and frankly that’s what I loved about the SciFi years, they weren’t afraid to get mean once in a while. As much as I enjoy the new seasons I do feel like they could stand to get meaner on occasion.

I digress, this is a stone cold classic and an easy watch even for newbies. I’ve used this episode almost as much as Time Chasers to introduce friends of mine to the series, it always goes over pretty well. My wife, a South Carolina native with a WI born father, also totally loves this one.

2 Likes