810. The Giant Spider Invasion (1975)

APC Teaser of The Giant Spider Invasion (1975).

4 Likes

Sugar and Caffeine.

4 Likes

Itā€™s Just A Show 94. [MST3K 810. The Giant Spider Invasion]

2 Likes

Spiders Attack The Diamond Broker.

3 Likes

Pudding!

2 Likes

MST3K Green Bay Packers Tribute.

5 Likes

Packers Win The Super Bowl!

4 Likes

Another classic! The Volkswagen spider, the sleazy characters, the unexpected heroes, the slumming actors, the utter ridiculousness, the Wisconsiness, the PACKERS! Woo!

This movieā€™s right in the riffing sweet spot. Itā€™s good enough to stand on its own, itā€™s got some recognisable faces, thereā€™s a lot of flavorful characters (hah, I made you imagine the Skipperā€™s flavor), thereā€™s goofy special effects, the science is silly, and it goes completely nuts at the end of the movie. I can watch this one any time and it always makes me feel better.

I like the pod people host segments, too. They are quality.

8 Likes

The Giant Spider Invasion (1975) in 12 minutes.

2 Likes

TV Spot for The Giant Spider Invasion (1975).

1 Like

Carnage Count of The Giant Spider Invasion (1975).

1 Like

I posted this the other day in a different Giant Spider thread, but it is still timely, so Iā€™m posting it here again.

7 Likes

Shot in Wisconsin, it is in many respects much like Attack of the The Eye Creatures. Both have titles that focus on unknowable invaders from without, in this case giant spiders coming out of a black hole that formed during a meteor strike (the science is rather flimsy, to say the least). Just as much effort in both is put into following the doings of characters with rather tenuous connections to one another who are loathsome to varying degrees. And while none of them quite match the greasy carnie in the knitted nightshirt in that category, the unhygienic farmer going about in his long underwear and back brace sure gives it the old college try. Both also employ several attempts at levity which go horribly wrong.

But itā€™s the differences that matter, and The Giant Spider Invasion comes out looking less ghastly. First off, it has some actors the general public would recognize. These include Alan Hale Jr. (The Skipper on Gilliganā€™s Island) and the unrelated Barbara Hale (Della Street on Perry Mason). Leslie Parrishā€™s own claim to celebrity can be regarded as a bit more nebulous. Likely due to having been a model at first, sheā€™s the sort of actress who can be seen as getting by on looks instead of talent. At this point in her career, sheā€™s clearly gone to seed concerning the former trait. Though considering that her character is the alcoholic wife of the above-mentioned farmer, this fits the role. But the most important difference is that this time, the Brains didnā€™t find themselves stymied. Instead of indulging in frustrated ranting, the riffing stays on point and concentrates on being funny. Mind you, any Cheeseheads who are proud of their heritage and their beloved Packers may find some of the cracks about Wisconsin to be a bit harsh.

7 Likes

I live down the street from a Menards. You know what I think every time I drive by.

8 Likes

Another excellent season 8 episode, whatā€™s not to like about The Giant Spider Invasion? I suppose the movie would be watchable without riffs, but these characters are just begging for it. The Skipperā€¦ uh, I meanā€¦ the Sheriffā€™s phone calls are so cringe worthy, I really hope Alan Hale Jr. improvised those lines. I donā€™t see how anyone could have committed that dialogue to paper, reread it, and then said, ā€œGreat, letā€™s go with that!ā€

Despite a number of viewings, I have yet to figure out who the protagonist is in this movie, so I tend to root for the spider. The way it mows down Wisconsinites definitely makes me think I backed the right horse. The riffs are on point, but this movie is really in their wheel house. The Menards riff is one that has aged well for me. When I first watched this episode, I lived in Florida, so the riff just flew right by me. Now that I am back in the the lower MidWest, Menards has proliferated around here, so that riff landed for me about a decade after I was first exposed to it.

The host segments are great as well, starting off with the fun cheerleader segment, where Tom just canā€™t get any charity with the letters Mike and Crow are willing to give him. Then the Invasion of the Body Snatchers bits get started, and the episode becomes a thing of genius. I love that Mike uses a callback to Revenge of the Creature with ā€œYou are a great mountain gorilla! You are Bobo, son of Koko!ā€ to save the day.

This wasnā€™t even half-way through season 8, and this was already one of several top notch episodes, but the best of the season was yet to come. Seasons 7 and 8 were strong, and I think the current season might be right up there with them. We are getting some great episodes right now, it just remains to be seen how well they will age.

7 Likes

Bill Rebaneā€™s best film. Unfortunately, thatā€™s a very low bar.

7 Likes

Did you ever see The Game? Ye godsā€¦

2 Likes

11% rebates?

6 Likes

Duh! Obviously!

5 Likes

Well, I think I know a fictional jeweler who is very likely a sexual predator.

Wait a minuteā€¦I think he might have been a pawn shop ownerā€¦in which caseā€¦make that two pawn shop owners and one accomplice.