812. The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies (1964)

This rates in the Mike’s Worst Competition. I always gave the Mike’s Manos Award to The Creeping Terror (1964). Terror creeps so slowly and inexpertly the pain threshold is inexorably high saddled with that narration, dubbing, and music. Nothing ever happens like Manos (1966). The gauntlet of Terror nears the intensity of Manos and both episode end credits feature score from the films. Once I saw Creeping Terror while watching it, I said to myself at 15 this is Mike’s Hands of Fate.

The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961) and Red Zone Cuba (1966) approach The Creeping Terror. Beast in its incomprehension and voiceover and Cuba for its nastiness and mood. Terror ratchets that “Will This Ever End?” quality so high the memories of seeing Manos flood in and the discomfort nearly matches it. Incredibly Strange Creatures (1964)? The ineptness nears Terror though the movie makes more sense and it fails to reach the time slowing limbo Manos and Terror seem to possess. My bead.

2 Likes