813. Jack Frost (1964)

mst3k813frostandmarfushka1
mst3k813frostandmarfushka2
mst3k813frostandmarfushka3

I love the hell out of this scene, let me just get that out of the way right now: “Aaaand a month’s rations are gone in an hour.”

That being said, I gotta tell you, the only disappointing thing about this episode for me (and it’s a very mildly disappointing thing) is the choice of stinger. There’s, like, AN ENTIRE MOVIE full of delightedly bizarre things happening, and they went with “Bring on my fiancé!” as a stinger.

Hmmm.

If it were my choice, I would have gone with a stinger like…

mst3k813sniff

-the one woodland bandit who sniffs his hand (?!) as he sneaks up on Ivan, only to get cymbal-punched for his troubles

-Baba Yaga dancing or having one of her freakouts, because that character is THE BEST. I was especially thinking of that part where she goes " :musical_note: My aching bones are very weary / My aching bones are very weary :musical_note: … oh, I ache all over. " (Side note: Crow’s riff there of “Well, back to the daycare” is an absolute gutbuster.)

-Ivan getting tossed around in that ring of trees as Baba Yaga cheers them on

-“Father Mushroom lied.” “WHO DID?!” (That delivery just kills me.)

-the cudgels falling back down to Earth and braining all the bandits: “Hey, men, these are our own clubs coming down!” [BONK]

-Baba Yaga: “Look out for my sheepskin coat, it’s almost new, don’t forget to get it back to me!” [proceeds to laugh hysterically]

5 Likes

This movie (and episode) is just “dowling”

5 Likes

Dowling?

What, wooden rods?

6 Likes

EVEN THE TERRIBLE JOKES SOMEHOW LOOP AROUND TO FANTASTIC STATUS

mst3k813website

This whole exchange is just gold.

Crow: “How do you like my website?”
Servo: [audibly groans]
Mike, quietly: “I really, really don’t.”
Crow, no longer a bear: “Grrrr. Oh, wait…”

7 Likes

mst3k813knottsberryfarm

Let the record show that I will always happily freak the hell out over a Knott’s Berry Farm riff.

This.
Freaking.
Episode.
:smiley:

3 Likes

Can’t Catch Me.

2 Likes

813 Stinger.

1 Like

He’s ADOWABOO!!

5 Likes

Oh, do I adore this episode! It’s such a journey that always gives you something amazing around every corner. So many quotes, memorable characters and scenes happen here!

I have a tradition that I wait until the first snowfall before I watch this in full (or sometime in December, whichever comes first). To me, it’s not really Winter until I put on Jack Frost!

It’s a Good Deed. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And I’m so pleased to see @optiMSTie sing the praises of his #1 favorite episode.

It’s as epic and awesome as I knew it would be! So enjoyed reading all these. :smiley:

2 Likes

Likewise. So much so I’ll recruit his opinion on a thread of mine he hasn’t commented to yet. I hope that hasn’t been annoying.

1 Like

He’s… endowable!

If you and I wanted to set up an endowment, he’s the guy to talk to!

:smiley:
I couldn’t do otherwise!

Damn, but I -heart- this one so damn much!

mst3k813ozark

Hey, glad to comment! I’m always keen to discuss the facets and elements of these episodes.

And p’shaw, it’s no problem. I love weighing in on all these shows. There isn’t an episode I -wouldn’t- want to comment on.

Including The Castle of Fu Manchu.

mst3k813zamboni

5 Likes

What MST3K episode is right under this for you? Have you a clear 2nd and 3rd Best Show or is it a group of them in a Sweet 16 as an example?

2 Likes

Mitchell. Gotta be Mitchell.

The only negative marks I have for Mitchell is that we don’t get very much Joel in the host segments, which is understandable, because [gestures at reasons]. Past that, it’s all killer, no filler.

If I were to do a top 10 list? It’d probably shake out like this through Season 12:

10 - Mac and Me
9 - Wizards of the Lost Kingdom I
8 - The Day the Earth Froze
7 - Squirm
6 - Bride of the Monster
5 - The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
4 - Space Mutiny
3 - The Final Sacrifice
2 - Mitchell
1 - Jack Frost

I don’t want to factor in Season 13 episodes until the season’s completed, but I could easily see Beyond Atlantis cracking the top 10.

I want to make my way through the entire series again and see Season 13 play out in its entirety before I lock that in, though.

mst3k813snowflakes

Some people spend a lot of time cutting out paper snowflakes. Me? I spend a lot of time watching MST3K.

4 Likes

I would like to note that I haven’t been able to hear the word “Adorable” in the last quarter century without that host segment going through my head.

4 Likes

Indeed.

I can’t hear the title Father Dowling Mysteries without tangentially thinking of the use of “DOWLING” in that host segment.

Which is to say nothing about Jack Frost’s influence on the Great Ape Movie Debate:

mst3k813apemovie1
mst3k813apemovie2

4 Likes

I have to say these “thread directories” are really clunky and require a lot of scrolling to skip to the meat of the discussion. Might I suggest posting them under the “Hide Details” feature instead? Then anyone interested can open it to find the other threads.

4 Likes

Thread specific: I very much enjoy this episode. It feels right at home to watch during the holiday season. It’s ridiculously storybook-ish and the dubbing is well done (often one of my issues on the foreign MST3K movies). The riffs are stellar.

However, since I still don’t know how to make goose giblets, I will never find a proper husband, despite my lustrous braid! Just kidding.

6 Likes

Nowadays the Impossible [tm] Giblets are healthier and easier to prepare anyway.

2 Likes

mst3k813beefsticks
mst3k813juggling1
mst3k813juggling2

You can just HEAR that sound effect.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

4 Likes