815. Agent for H.A.R.M. (1966)

Bad Movie Review of Agent for H.A.R.M. (1966).

2 Likes

Every Movie Ever - Agent for H.A.R.M. (1966).

1 Like

History and Summary of Agent for H.A.R.M. (1966).

1 Like

Watch Me Open The Hell Out Of This Door.

2 Likes

At first, this might appear to be one of the many attempts to cash in on the success of the James Bond franchise back in the 1960s. But it owes more to The Man from U.N.C.L.E., as it was originally intended to be the pilot for a television series. For whatever reason, it got a theatrical release instead. Perhaps the S&P Boys didn’t care for some of the more gruesome makeup effects.

One of the sadder parts is the performance by Wendell Corey as spy chief Jim Graff. This was shot as his career was in decline and it’s obvious that he’s mumbling his lines in an alcoholic haze. The fact that he died a couple of years later from cirrhosis can make the cracks about his inebriated state in the riffing seem in poor taste. Peter Mark Richman (whom some might recall in his role as the cranky guy in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “The Neutral Zone”) is difficult to take seriously as a superspy, whether from that eyesore of a cardigan he wears or his condescending approach in his interactions with the femme fatale. The accuracy and deadliness of that hold-out pistol he uses also strains credulity.

Not that it matters much, because this is one of those episodes where the host segments overwhelm the film (but not because it’s dull and dreary). In this case, Mike finds himself on trial for all the planets he destroyed (though he was more of an accessory in the case of the first two). This situation might be a nod to the 1961 film The Flight That Disappeared, in which a group of scientists are pulled out of space-time and put on trial for developing a bomb that could destroy all life on Earth. It sounds rather like a particularly sanctimonious episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits stretched out to feature length. I doubt it would be as enjoyable to watch as Mike’s, which is full of bumbling hilarity. Both have a cop-out ending when the defendant is found guilty but gets off easy, though it works better with Mike due to it having no pretense at being serious.

4 Likes

I have one takeaway from this episode:

4 Likes

I think this ep deserves a lot more hype than it gets. It’s top shelf all the way for me. The riffs are fantastic and the film is never gets boring. I think it’s a hard one to find due to rights? Check it out if you’ve never seen it.

6 Likes

Prince, another super-competent spy, Mike on trial, [bleep]ing [bleeps], and panties, panties, panties! It’s a shame this one’s not available any more.

4 Likes

We need to keep Mike on Earth so he’ll have fewer opportunities to destroy any more planets.

4 Likes

Same here. Bursting out into the Bond Theme over just about anything and the energy is high.

4 Likes

Or simply stop traveling the wider universe. As long as the S.O.L. is orbiting Earth in its normal timelime everything is fine.

2 Likes

Best of The Smug Man With A Cardigan.

2 Likes

Here’s The Windup and There’s The Smarm.

2 Likes

Drive!

2 Likes

Staring At A Window.

2 Likes

“Joining his niece for lunch. DA-DA-DA-DAA!!!”

4 Likes

I’m no longer certain that’s a chance we can take.

2 Likes

@optiMSTie Agent for H.A.R.M. (1966). Choice Season 8 Material or Lost in the Sea of Riches of Season 8?

2 Likes

Is it Mike, the Bomb Worshippers, or the Nanites that were the real danger? Mike helped the Apes blow themselves up, the Nanites destroyed the Observer Homeworld, and Mike’s zeal with Baking Soda obliterated the Camping Planet. Maybe you’re right. Mike is the perfect accessory to the unthinkable. Better keep him under lock and key.

5 Likes

“White things. Get your white things.”

2 Likes