816. Prince of Space (1959)

From the Land of the Rising Sun, a mashup of two Planet Prince movies dubbed in English. Beloved by MSTies, this 95 minute beauty rose in the ranks to where it is. Goggles, helmet, cape, he’s dressed for success. Who is this man? An action figure in the making? “Evel Knievel”? The Artist Formerly Known As? Dog and Bear, Wormhole, Chicken Puppet, Mike Robot, Ancient Rome. “Hey I’m in space already damn”, “Ahh Ma, Tempura again?”, “Umm Tora?” “Ohh the Japanity!!!” or “Surrender Dorothy”?

10 Likes

CHICKEN PUPPET :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :chicken:

10 Likes

Note: This compilation has been called The Star Prince, Planet Prince, and Prince Planet.

6 Likes

Prince. Of Space!

6 Likes

Krankor Visits. From 819 remembering 816.

9 Likes

Sylvan Glen.

7 Likes

I like it very much!

Macken…

5 Likes

Chicken Puppet.

7 Likes

Watching “Prince of Space” right now! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Dog and Bear.

7 Likes

You know- it just occurred to me that, as I’ve gotten older, without trying to, I’ve become more and more like Krankor’s large, matronly guardian giant. For one thing, I’ve had the tendency, especially after having gone through quarantine, to wander around aimlessly, and gain weight. :smile:

And- hey! As you age, your cartilage keeps growing. Meaning my nose and ears are gradually getting larger- like the Giant’s- whether I want them to or not. What the heck?! At least I haven’t developed those giant bulging forehead veins! ….yet.

(Looking at the Giant, I couldn’t help but notice this, too. Many, many moons ago- back in my old punk rock days- I wore my eye makeup a bit the Giant’s. I am happy to report, however, that that quantity of black eyeshadow was slightly more flattering on me. LOL!)

5 Likes

The casting director of Prince of Space must’ve combed the Bowery for child voice actors to find the kid who dubbed that one paper boy’s dialogue.

6 Likes

So the city just up the highway hosts an annual Scandinavian Festival. They’re looking for a few good Trolls.

6 Likes

I’ve never been to Japan, but I’ve heard it’s an amazing place. There’s certainly no shortage there of awesome pop culture esoterica, like figurines of obscure cartoon characters, etc. As a kid I really liked Gabbera- though he was a jerk- I’m sure there are lots of amazing depictions of him.

And I’m wondering if, on one of the less prominent shelves of a super cool little store somewhere in Japan, if one could find Star Prince/Prince Planet/Prince of Space etc. action figures.

That’d be a cool project: order some Sculpey, and make some!

(I hope I’m not over-posting. I’ve been waiting so long to talk about this stuff. If I am unknowingly being excessive here, I apologize.)

6 Likes

My Geometry teacher in high school looked like the guy second from left. Same self-assured expression.

3 Likes

You’re cool. Talk to your heart’s content. It’s funny how certain threads take off and the rest stay on the ground. You haven’t an inkling whether you have a Krankor or Prince of Space on your hands till after it’s out there. Please if anything hits you tied to this speak your mind.

5 Likes

Thanks!

I think I like you very much! LOL. :blush:

5 Likes

I’m on mission to cover as many MST3K episodes in topics as is possible. I posted a Future War (1997) thread to slight interest and Jack Frost (1964) thread to heavy reaction. So far Prince of Space (1959) is humming along quite fine.

4 Likes

Priiiince! Ooooof! Spaaaaace! And now, the continuing story of a child-loving boot black who’s gone to the dogs.

Uh, I think my pop culture’s leaking this morning.

This is one of those episodes that grows on me the more I see it. The movie’s so unrelentingly goofy, Prince of Space and Krankor take turns gnawing on everything in sight, and haven’t I told you your weapons have no effect on me? I really like the host segments, too. All of the wormhole shenanigans are fun, with the cute little Mike robot, the weirdness of seeing the crew in actual daylight, and the chicken puppet scene. I love time out of sequence scenes and they do that one really well.

7 Likes

Bookend Mr. Mooneys.

3 Likes