816. Prince of Space (1959)

So the city just up the highway hosts an annual Scandinavian Festival. They’re looking for a few good Trolls.

6 Likes

I’ve never been to Japan, but I’ve heard it’s an amazing place. There’s certainly no shortage there of awesome pop culture esoterica, like figurines of obscure cartoon characters, etc. As a kid I really liked Gabbera- though he was a jerk- I’m sure there are lots of amazing depictions of him.

And I’m wondering if, on one of the less prominent shelves of a super cool little store somewhere in Japan, if one could find Star Prince/Prince Planet/Prince of Space etc. action figures.

That’d be a cool project: order some Sculpey, and make some!

(I hope I’m not over-posting. I’ve been waiting so long to talk about this stuff. If I am unknowingly being excessive here, I apologize.)

6 Likes

My Geometry teacher in high school looked like the guy second from left. Same self-assured expression.

3 Likes

You’re cool. Talk to your heart’s content. It’s funny how certain threads take off and the rest stay on the ground. You haven’t an inkling whether you have a Krankor or Prince of Space on your hands till after it’s out there. Please if anything hits you tied to this speak your mind.

5 Likes

Thanks!

I think I like you very much! LOL. :blush:

5 Likes

I’m on mission to cover as many MST3K episodes in topics as is possible. I posted a Future War (1997) thread to slight interest and Jack Frost (1964) thread to heavy reaction. So far Prince of Space (1959) is humming along quite fine.

4 Likes

Priiiince! Ooooof! Spaaaaace! And now, the continuing story of a child-loving boot black who’s gone to the dogs.

Uh, I think my pop culture’s leaking this morning.

This is one of those episodes that grows on me the more I see it. The movie’s so unrelentingly goofy, Prince of Space and Krankor take turns gnawing on everything in sight, and haven’t I told you your weapons have no effect on me? I really like the host segments, too. All of the wormhole shenanigans are fun, with the cute little Mike robot, the weirdness of seeing the crew in actual daylight, and the chicken puppet scene. I love time out of sequence scenes and they do that one really well.

7 Likes

Bookend Mr. Mooneys.

3 Likes

You have some serious catching up to do before you join the ranks of excessive posters around this joint, lol.

7 Likes

I love both of those episodes! I’ll head over soon, and start posting.

I think that’s a great idea- posting individual episodes for people to comment on, so instead of an in-general topic like “hey, everybody- what episode makes you laugh?” (with my rapidly reddening cheeks, I admit that I posted a topic like this earlier today) you’re giving people the chance to comment on just that one episode.

That way you can really savor that particular ep. I always seem to notice something “new” when I re-watch episodes too, even though I’ve seen them so many times. MST3K just never seems to get old to me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:grin:

3 Likes

Suggestion: The second and third posts on the Jack Frost (1964) page are collapsed links to each individual MST3K topic I or others have submitted so far. Click on the Summary on either of those to lay your eyes on The Yellow Brick Road of what’s been touched. From early Comedy Central notables to the Sci-Fi Era to Netflix. Prince of Space (1959) is one of a growing flock. Thanks for the encouragement. Any suggestions would be great too!

3 Likes

:+1:t3:

My “first time” full episode was “First Spaceship on Venus,” so I would love to see that one as a topic.

“Be-dee be-dee be-dee- beat cheeks!”

4 Likes

I’ll work on it. I’m limited to one a day and like Prince of Space I have to pick my battles.

5 Likes

Krankor, to gathered Scientists: “You demand nothing. You will merely obey my instructions. Take your place and remain silent- while I explain why you were brought here. You five men are among the top scientists of Earth. Your governments respect your opinions. Thus, you men are well equipped to evaluate my power. You know I can exterminate the world any time I want to. I want you to explain this to your people. Impress upon them how useless it would be to oppose me. You will tell them I demand their surrender. You- you- each and every one of you.”

Dr. Macken: “No. I won’t. It’s out of the question. I WON’T! I will never betray my people!”
Scientist: “I refuse- categorically!”
Scientist: “No! I will never be your tool!”
Scientist: “NONE of us will!”
Scientist: “Agreed?”
Scientist: “Of course- we agree!”

Mike, in small muffled voice: “…I’ll do it.”

That always kills me.

10 Likes

How these kids got level 5 security clearance, I’ll never know.

If I’m minded to introduce someone to MST3K this is one of my go to intro recommendations.

7 Likes

Dog And Bear is one of my all time favorite host segments. “And then he took it too far!!!”

7 Likes

The movie reminds me of a story I once read about the original production of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta The Mikado. Apparently, they were making every effort to be sure that the costumes and props were as authentic as possible. But to the consternation of the wardrobe department, it was learned that a Japanese woman and her kimono is rather like a Scotsman and his kilt.

4 Likes

Ooooh yeah! I’ve read so many nature stories that read just like Dog&Bear! All it needed was for it to mention “a big, hairy paw.” Because inevitably, someone gets taken down by a big, hairy paw… just ask Luke Skywalker.

P.S. Guess which episode I have on right now?

5 Likes

These Japanese movies are weird. It’s obvious that guns don’t work against the monster or, in this case, the hero, and they just keep shooting anyway.

6 Likes