816. Prince of Space (1959)

You have some serious catching up to do before you join the ranks of excessive posters around this joint, lol.

7 Likes

I love both of those episodes! I’ll head over soon, and start posting.

I think that’s a great idea- posting individual episodes for people to comment on, so instead of an in-general topic like “hey, everybody- what episode makes you laugh?” (with my rapidly reddening cheeks, I admit that I posted a topic like this earlier today) you’re giving people the chance to comment on just that one episode.

That way you can really savor that particular ep. I always seem to notice something “new” when I re-watch episodes too, even though I’ve seen them so many times. MST3K just never seems to get old to me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:grin:

3 Likes

Suggestion: The second and third posts on the Jack Frost (1964) page are collapsed links to each individual MST3K topic I or others have submitted so far. Click on the Summary on either of those to lay your eyes on The Yellow Brick Road of what’s been touched. From early Comedy Central notables to the Sci-Fi Era to Netflix. Prince of Space (1959) is one of a growing flock. Thanks for the encouragement. Any suggestions would be great too!

3 Likes

:+1:t3:

My “first time” full episode was “First Spaceship on Venus,” so I would love to see that one as a topic.

“Be-dee be-dee be-dee- beat cheeks!”

4 Likes

I’ll work on it. I’m limited to one a day and like Prince of Space I have to pick my battles.

5 Likes

Krankor, to gathered Scientists: “You demand nothing. You will merely obey my instructions. Take your place and remain silent- while I explain why you were brought here. You five men are among the top scientists of Earth. Your governments respect your opinions. Thus, you men are well equipped to evaluate my power. You know I can exterminate the world any time I want to. I want you to explain this to your people. Impress upon them how useless it would be to oppose me. You will tell them I demand their surrender. You- you- each and every one of you.”

Dr. Macken: “No. I won’t. It’s out of the question. I WON’T! I will never betray my people!”
Scientist: “I refuse- categorically!”
Scientist: “No! I will never be your tool!”
Scientist: “NONE of us will!”
Scientist: “Agreed?”
Scientist: “Of course- we agree!”

Mike, in small muffled voice: “…I’ll do it.”

That always kills me.

10 Likes

How these kids got level 5 security clearance, I’ll never know.

If I’m minded to introduce someone to MST3K this is one of my go to intro recommendations.

7 Likes

Dog And Bear is one of my all time favorite host segments. “And then he took it too far!!!”

7 Likes

The movie reminds me of a story I once read about the original production of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta The Mikado. Apparently, they were making every effort to be sure that the costumes and props were as authentic as possible. But to the consternation of the wardrobe department, it was learned that a Japanese woman and her kimono is rather like a Scotsman and his kilt.

4 Likes

Ooooh yeah! I’ve read so many nature stories that read just like Dog&Bear! All it needed was for it to mention “a big, hairy paw.” Because inevitably, someone gets taken down by a big, hairy paw… just ask Luke Skywalker.

P.S. Guess which episode I have on right now?

5 Likes

These Japanese movies are weird. It’s obvious that guns don’t work against the monster or, in this case, the hero, and they just keep shooting anyway.

6 Likes

That’s right!

But remember, “nah, [the bootblack] wouldn’t fight, he’d be too scared!”

Another big ups to Dog & Bear…I can never remember which episode had which host segment. WTH is with Dog & Bear anyway? I suspect that has no relation to anything real at all…pure surreal hilarity.

Haw haw haw!

You’re doing good stuff, @BruceLeePullen, and have been since the beginning of your project. Impressive. And your opening summaries are always inventive and entertaining.

6 Likes

Not “Chicken Of Tomorrow” ? :cry:

Also, I’m perpetually puzzled by the assertion of the riffers that “I’m not afraid. If you are, go home” doesn’t make linear sense. It absolutely does. :confused:

8 Likes

I think they’re really just reacting to the lack of a natural pause by whoever dubbed the kid. The very odd dubbing choices create quite a bit of the humor of this episode (“Beaver Falls, Japan?!?!”)

8 Likes

:grin: The real Beaver Falls is about 50 miles from Pittsburgh: where the other half of the Potroast Family is from. We were dawdling in a antique-and-gift shop there one day several years back, and I saw some china which was made in Beaver Falls.

Makes me wonder if someone from PA was helping with the translating, or if someone just threw darts at a U.S. map to see where they’d land.

The internet informs me that there are no actual beavers in Japan.

7 Likes

The conventions of the serial format. Not that removed from the Stormtroopers in Star Wars (1977) always missing their targets.

6 Likes

Yeah, but they aren’t missing, they’re hitting and Prince of Space keeps telling them it isn’t working, but they keep doing it anyway. I mean I realize they aren’t very bright for a species that has developed advanced space travel, but still…

6 Likes

It’s reversed sure or inverted. But the “Pew, Pew, Pew” staccato of incompetence (either in not hitting or not killing) is identical. Otherwise no chase or continual action would exist. The hero(s) would be dead.

5 Likes

Also in preparing for this thread in my research, the “invulnerability” is the English Dub. In Japanese, he says and I paraphrase “You can’t hit me” and if you watch the movie carefully he is dodging the lasers in some shots. Consequently it is identical to Star Wars after all.

4 Likes