904. Werewolf (1996)

MST3K Werewolf End Credits Song vs. The Actual Songs.

8 Likes

Yet Even More Best of 904.

3 Likes

Yet Even Further Best of 904.

3 Likes

904 Promo.

2 Likes

Trailer of Werewolf (1996).

2 Likes

MST3K: Werewolf: - The Many Haircuts of Yuri.

2 Likes

The amazing disappearing Estevez, inconsistent werewolf masks, The Keeper, pantsless lady, the weird unmic’d attic bedroom, the collection of accents, Yuri’s everchanging hair, Yuri’s unfathomable rage, Yuri, the security guard removal plot, the bad driving, the repeating gas station, the cheap skeleton, Natalie’s every line, the random guy who takes on a werewolf bare-handed, the bar that doesn’t care, the things, and the rest. Great Cthulhu’s writhing beard, it’s like this movie was made to be riffed!

The whole thing is just surreal, which makes it extremely watchable. Is this a town of madness or is this some kind of dream? And then you get Where, Oh, Werewolf, the end credits songs, and Mike turning into a were-Crow. This is MST3K at its peak.

14 Likes

I’ve watched this episode many times. I can never quite figure out what Yuri’s plan is and why he’s doing it, much less discern what he hopes to gain.

To quote The Great Muppet Caper: “Why am I doing this? Because I’m a villain! It’s plain and simple.”

8 Likes

Of the three werewolf movies screened on MST3K (with the others being The Mad Monster and I Was a Teenage Werewolf), this one hews closest to the Hollywood clichés. We have the uncontrolled transformations, the curse passing on through infection, the emphasis on the full moon, the mopey attitude of the affected protagonist, and on and on. So, when Noel goes on during his exposition dump about how the skinwalker of Navajo folklore is nothing like the Hollywood werewolf, it all rings hollow. Then again, Hollywood werewolves bear only scant resemblance to European werewolf folklore.

One way it differs from more typical movie portrayals is that these werewolves aren’t very menacing. The first two just kind of blunder about before getting killed off in some ignominious fashion. Even as Paul manages to chase down some human prey in his transformed state, it requires a level of victim cooperation not seen since The Creeping Terror. What’s more, after transforming in a bar and then charging out to rampage, almost immediately a random passerby casually decks him. Sad really. Then there are the continuity errors, which further emphasize the slapdash nature of the production. What I’m saying is that it’s perfect for being featured on MST3K.

7 Likes

Odd that Werewolf just came up here. I’ve started featuring episodes of MST3K on Fridays on my TikTok. Obviously I love the show and I want to promote it, in addition to what I post about my own books. Today’s video, which is the third I’ve posted, is about Werewolf. I wanted to do this as the first Mike video because it stands alone as an episode. Also, I have some friends on TT who like shifter stories, and I’m going to post a link to the TT in the Discord I’m in with them in a little while. I really like the riffing in this, and it seems to me to be one of those episodes that’s good to point people towards and say, “If you like this you’d like the show.”

6 Likes

Where Oh Werewolf is an easy MSTK classic original song. One I find myself humming even when I haven’t watched the movie recently, it just pops in my head. It’s a serious ear worm lol

11 Likes

Absolutely positivity love this one!

The movie is truly one-of-a-kind, so utterly strange and loaded with quirks and bizarre directions. It’s truly riffing GOLD.

Along with great Host Segments and a fantastic end credits medley, you have a legendary episode!

This is one of those I could put on anytime and enjoy! This is a precious one to me.

Kevin Murphy is quoted as describing Werewolf as a “Gift from God”. I would be inclined to agree!

10 Likes

My oh my how I love this episode! It’s in color, somewhat watchable and oh so dumb! There’s so much riffing fodder here and they crush it! Yuri and his changing hairstyles, sleeping nose to anus, the different ways they pronounce “Werewolf”, the ever changing appearance of said Werewolf, pants-less real estate agents, weird militia guys singing “weird things a doin”, Joe Estevez, and of course, Natalie. Dear, sweet, dumb, Natalie. She might be the worst actress Mst3K ever riffed. Valeria from Robot Holocaust is probably the only other actress that comes close.

FYI- Tony Zarindast was known as the Persian Ed Wood and watching this movie it’s easy to see why. He plays the drugged security guard that turns into a Werewolf and stalks a gas station before crashing into a bunch of barrels. Bless him for giving us this incredibly made for Mst3K movie!

12 Likes

That is absolutely amazing!

Werewolf is my first and favorite episode. I never get tired of it. I’ve seen it so many times that I can recite not only the riffs but most of the movie’s dialogue. It was, I think, the perfect episode to introduce me to MST3K, even if I had no idea what was going on in the host segments or why the riffing was happening. It was absolutely hilarious and I laughed until I cried.

I can’t say enough about how much I love this episode.

10 Likes

RIP Christine.
382dba9f-1384-4aad-8b54-94cfdd485456_text

6 Likes

A Red-Letter Installment of MST3K. The host segments, the movie, the comments. 904 is peerless. Everything works. The flavor is classical MST3K and the execution to the moon. Where Oh Werewolf, The Werecrow, the “Ahhhh!!!” when showing remains. This sings as very few experiments do. A legendary episode.

6 Likes

Is it me or does this go down as an unofficial Halloween Special? James Lipton, Where Oh Werewolf, Werecrow and Weremike. Everyone is someone else throughout. Feels like Halloween to me.

7 Likes

@optiMSTie What is the attraction of this episode? The strangeness, the incompetence, the on-target comedy in full evidence? All of the above? I heard of this show even before seeing it. Why has this hit such a nerve with MSTies?

2 Likes

Certainly, it has all the themes of a Halloween special. Werewolves in the feature. Dressing in costume.

4 Likes

@CLANG_Potroast, @amass79, @Goldash, @Rowsdoweruno. Your memory of this? Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down? No Thumbs?

6 Likes