906. The Space Children (1958)

“They are, they are… The Youth of a Nation…” “They are, they are… The Youth of a Nation…” Concerned aliens beam to Earth and use the children to protect mankind from itself. “It’s the good brain from the sky…” “It drops down in a ray of light…” “Where the kiddies play…” “On the beach near the Nuclear Base…” Disarmament, Mass Destruction. “We’ll meet again!!!” “Don’t know where!!!” “Don’t know when!!!” “But I know we’ll meet again!!!” “Some sunny day!!!” Kissing Booth, Teleconference, Century 21 Calling, Wrecking Ball, Model Rocket, Line of Lingerie, Holy Blob. “George Bailey’s in trouble. AGAIN”, “Music by Rick Wakeman”, “Enjoy our hockey stick names.” “Wow movie just dumped a whole pallet load of actors on us” or “I am crashing from a Pop-Tart high”?

6 Likes

Kissing Booth.

3 Likes

Century 21 Calling… (1962).

4 Likes

Best of 906.

3 Likes

More Best of 906.

4 Likes

Trailer of The Space Children (1958).

2 Likes

Joe Dante on The Space Children (1958).

2 Likes

Opening Credits of The Space Children (1958).

2 Likes

Kids Meet The Brain.

2 Likes

“Better phone the dep-oh.”

“The devil!?”

3 Likes

It’s been a while since the show has had a short, likely because how, outside serials, there weren’t many that could be classified under even the loosest definition of science fiction. But seeing as how this one features the Seattle World’s Fair of 1962 and its wonders of the future, it manages to justify itself. Since Ma Bell is the sponsor here, the future of phone technology gets the largest share of attention. Unfortunately, a lot of the inaner functions that were touted are coming (or have come) to pass.

As for the feature, it’s one of those productions that desperately wants to be profound but falls short. Part of this is due to how cloying the line concerning the innocence of children is. The casting of certain roles is curious in retrospect, as those particular actors had yet to appear in their most famous roles. Abusive stepfather Joe Gamble is instantly recognizable as Russell Johnson, best known as the Professor on Gilligan’s Island (and inspiring quite a few riffs). Not so visually familiar is Raymond Bailey as Dr. Wahrman. Without his toupee, it’s not immediately apparent that he’s Mr. Drysdale of The Beverly Hillbillies.

But back to the movie. It presents the Holy Blob (as it gets referred to by Mike and the Bots) as a benevolent entity acting in humanity’s best interests which uses the children at the facility as agents. But is it because of their innocence or because they’re more mentally pliable? Some of its actions are less than defensible, such as having the kids go onto the launch pad to sabotage the warhead just as the launch was imminent. The violence inflicted on the adults aren’t quite as bad, as the effects are nonlethal. It can even be reasonably argued that Joe Gamble’s death was an accident, and that his alcohol-weakened constitution couldn’t handle a stunning attack. Still, you can’t help but wonder whether the Holy Blob has a cookbook at the ready.

5 Likes

This episode falls into the pile of “I remember it being good but only watched it a couple times.” It’s probably time for a rewatch, in other words.

5 Likes

I liked it quite a bit. Particularly the short. The film is nearer the unusual than bad category. Jack Arnold directed and this is the only film of his to land on MST3K. It identical to Tormented (1960) or The Undead (1957) grabs your attention with how good it is. The young actors are well directed and the score stands out.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen this one. :confused: Maybe we’ll get a Rockets and Rayguns or Space Shenanigans month with this in it soon.

2 Likes

It’s in that Dead Zone where I fear you might have to wait awhile to see it. It’s not a choice on The Gizmoplex. You Tube is your only option.

3 Likes

“Live from Zermatt!”

3 Likes

“The architecturally rigid space children.”

2 Likes

“Darlene was arraigned in Superior Court County of Los Angeles.”

3 Likes

“What the hell? Hey that jerk over there has a camera filming me.”

3 Likes

“That kid was picked last to be a space child.”

3 Likes