912. The Screaming Skull (1958)

Coupled alongside Earth vs. the Spider (1958) and Terror from the Year 5000 (1958) in AIP Double Features, The Screaming Skull (1958) is a remake of Hitchcock’s Rebecca (1940). Newlyweds, a dead first wife, a concerned second couple, a servant devoted to the first wife. Much of it we’ve seen before. Tom Servo Beautiful Butterfly, Penguin Costumes, Robot Wumpus, Gumby PTSD, Calling For The Free Coffin, Crow as The Screaming Skull. “What a lovely arrangement of Popcorn Balls”, “I hate it when people die they make such a big deal out of it”, “Offer Void in Utah, Florida, and Arizona.” “Thank You And Good Night” or “Yep… Shocking Horror”?

6 Likes

@Satoris720. “Whoop there it is…”

2 Likes

The Screaming Crow.

5 Likes

Penguin Costumes.

3 Likes

Gumby PTSD.

3 Likes

This is one of the episodes I think I would probably enjoy if I watched it unriffed. Like you said, it’s a remake of Rebecca, with a dose of Gaslight, but it’s a serviceable remake.

5 Likes

Personally, I think it does the Gaslight bits far better than Gaslight. There, I said it, and I’d say it again.

That having been said, it may have been better served as a Night Gallery segment. There’s a mostly decent story to be found here. But even at minimum feature length, it’s stretched out a bit too thin.

7 Likes

Well, like they riffed, it was drive-in fare and you were expecting to be with someone at the time…

Also, wish we got more Gumby on the show.

6 Likes

I guess my main problem with the Screaming Skull is that I wanted an actual screaming skull, not just a hallucination. I felt cheated.

6 Likes

Oh how I love this one! The terrific Gumby short is a treasure! Maybe the best short from the Sci-fi era. As for the movie, it’s slow at times but that just leaves them room to riff. From Mickey manufacturing his own ammonia, Jenni’s very unsexy bra, and Skulls crawling around on the lawn.

Favorite riff after the Reverend Snow brings Eric eggs;

Crow: Her parents drowned in a tubfull of eggs.

Thanks for posting this one Bruce!

4 Likes

Something of an underrated episode, no?

I’ll love it forever for the Gumby short ALONE, a rarity for the Sci-Fi era.

The movie is gloriously, ridiculously dark, and I like what the gang does with that, ESPECIALLY in their characterizations of Mickey.

I still can’t believe that dopey “IF THIS MOVIE SCARES YOU TO DEATH, WE WILL BUY YOU A COFFIN” thing. That’s carnie as hell and feels like an old William Castle gimmick.

7 Likes

I agree Squid. There’s a creepiness to this movie. That and because it’s all shot in the same location gives you feeling of isolation. I think I said this before, but the first time I saw this one my wife was visiting family with our kids and I was sitting through one of the worst blizzards in Maryland history. So, cozy memories with this one :grin:

4 Likes

That was a hope of mine, too.

Fox Entertainment snapped up the Gumby property in February 2022, though, so that might make acquiring future Gumby installments on the show prohibitively difficult (if not impossible).

4 Likes

I think I saw this one unriffed first and actually enjoyed it. You know, I managed to get five coffins out of those suckers before they caught on.

5 Likes

Classic moment:

[Mickey clumsily handles a bunch of pots]

Crow: GET A BOX!!!

8 Likes

This is one of the ones I enjoyed prior to seeing the riffed episode. So, hooray for me!

6 Likes

Same. Titles of genre movies then tended to be literal. This never actually went down for real (a haunting, a ghost, a skull, and then about a minute where you hear screaming and see skulls and that’s it) and frankly I was waiting for a Screaming Skull for most of the movie. I actually wanted a Screaming Skull and the picture failed to deliver. Expectations unrealized I guess. Still a good riff subject and an unusually sound movie altogether. The Screaming Skull (1958) and The Atomic Brain (1963) have that in common. Above average acting, striking atmosphere, and a sinister edge to the action. You could watch them together.

3 Likes

I’m happy to help. I’m partial to this too. The experiment has a unique flair that really works. A sophisticated William Castle movie almost. You actually have restraint in this which is noteworthy and the performers are really giving us decent performances. I have to respect that. Any more thread suggestions @Satoris720?

3 Likes

Hmmm, how about The Deadly Mantis? Have we done that one yet? Season 8 is so chocked full of memorable episodes. This one is, in my opinion, underrated. I believe this is episode 804.

3 Likes

Watching Screaming Skull right now. The host segments are so good in this one. Especially Crow as the Screaming Skull. Mike is hilarious as he chooses golf clubs while screaming.

5 Likes