A Case Against Spring Fever

Spring Fever came up again in the marathon last night, and on this watching I noticed something that had escaped notice until then…

Okay, so Coily warns the guy about wishing away all the springs, before and after, which is all well and good except for one thing: the sentence that kicks off this edu-“tainment” horror show is “I hope I never see another spring as long as I live.”
Not wish. HOPE.
What’s even worse is the guy berates his golf buddy for not-making the same not-wish at the end of the short.

It makes Coily come off as less of an annoying spirit and more of a complete jerk.

7 Likes

A case against Chevrolet, you mean. “Wah wah wah we can’t build safety features into your car because then we wouldn’t have any money for crappy shorts where we blame you for our own greed!! Wahhhhhh!!!”

5 Likes

That is upsetting, especially since we’ve been led to believe that magic is very particular about language. Like a genie twisting the words of your wish so that it is technically granted though not what you intended.

Or the curse in Beauty and the Beast that will be lifted when he’s capable of being loved, but even though Belle clearly loves him by the middle, it’s not until she says “I love you” that the spell is broken.

But I’m torn because I want my magical entities to understand intent. My love language is reading the room.

6 Likes

Please stop reading The Room. Wiseau can’t write any more than he can act.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure we can also build a pretty good case against the Union-Pacific Railroad as well.

Their point seems to be, “Don’t blame the Railroad that your dad/husband/significant other was killed/crippled/blinded, it is their fault. And if it isn’t, it’s the fault of that old guy sitting across the street in his rocker, who had the temerity to have a heart attack on the job, which our lawyers inform us is totally not stressful, and absolutely does not involve long hours with low pay.”

4 Likes

Coily had been trapped in the depths of Hell for centuries waiting for the one wish from the mortal world that would free him. You can’t blame him for jumping on a technicality (wish/hope – close enough!) to free himself.

6 Likes

Didn’t he come off that way already?

4 Likes

No one ever says Ftumch.

1 Like

Well, yeah, but he sold the car!

6 Likes

By the way, Mr. B Natural, the brand of the instrument doesn’t matter when you fairly consider all the variables.

6 Likes

Coily is clearly one of the Fae Folk. They are capricious, dangerous, and not to be trifled with.

SpringFever344

8 Likes

That’s the money quote. At that point Gilbert is betting his own life, which attracts the interest of Coily, who is a sprite. If Coily was a wish granting magical creature, you’d have an excellent point. Since the word “sprite” comes from the French “espirit,” which often means “liveliness,” it makes perfect sense that in the Jam Handyverse that sprites appear when someone bets their life, much like Patch appears when some fool child bets their soul for a cheap doll.

This also explains why Coca-Cola makes such a terrible lemon lime soda.

6 Likes

Patch Adams?

Well, I’M bitterly disappointed now. I guess I shouldn’t believe everything I see in the movies. :confused:

1 Like

Mr B seems to be part of a scam, or a swindle, or… dare I say it? Conn.

7 Likes

GROAN

3 Likes

You can’t make me groan! You’re not my mother!!!

1 Like

Is that from Hamlet ?

Find Him Where Is He GIF by Y: The Last Man

3 Likes

The Think System has never failed me!

“I hope they look!”

“You’re deep, Ernie.”

5 Likes

The Think System works! It magically made uniforms appear and all the kids learned how to play and march despite no one actually knowing a thing about music! Professor Harold Hill will lead his army, and they will march on to Kalamazoo! Chattanooga! Walla Walla! RANCHO CUCAMONGA!!!

6 Likes