A celebration of everything Paul Chaplin

paulchaplin

Today is the 66th birthday of MST3K writer and performer Paul Chaplin!

What are your favorite guest appearances on the show from Mr. Chaplin?

7 Likes

It’s gotta be Pitch!

8 Likes

Never mind—I thought that was Paul Chaplin’s voice (since we can’t see him), but it was Patrick Brantseg.

Paul Chaplin is the Best Brains writer I know the least about. I know from the episode guide that he loves sports but I don’t know much more about him than that. He’s mostly stayed out of the spotlight. I hear he’s writing again on the new season, which sounds good because I’m sure he’s a funny writer, but he seems to do nothing in terms of entertainment outside of MST3K.

What has he been doing with himself all these years?

2 Likes

Paul was underrated as one of the Observers!

7 Likes

Word on the street is he copyrighted his initials and now he is just raking in the royalties from personal computers and political correctness.

7 Likes

It’s juvenile and stupid, but I get a real kick out of his appearance as one of the Space Children (along with Bridget and Mike), especially when he repeatedly throws the ball into Professor Bobo’s “upper thigh”.

6 Likes

Personally, I’m pretty fond of Timmy Bobby Rusty.

3 Likes

For some reason, I’ve always been curious about David Sussman. His name shows up quite a bit in Season 5 and 6 and there’s seemingly even less known about him.

3 Likes

I know so little about David Sussman that I forgot he existed!

4 Likes

One thing I do know is that “Chaplin” is a nom de plume (revealed in The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide.) His mom taught AP English at William Fremd High School in the '90s and I was one of her students. :slight_smile:

Favorite appearance? Maybe the Mad Scientist who evaluated Pearl’s experiment in Girl in Gold Boots. Or the biddable, but unfortunately very in-demand “Karl” who briefly agrees to be ruled by Pearl (just before learning that he’s been acquired by the Travelers Group) in The Final Sacrifice. He’s very good at those small roles that require a mix of laid-back delivery and high-concept weirdness, which is a mode MST3K does well.

9 Likes

And of course that undeniably infectious laugh he does as Pitch.

5 Likes

Let us not forget his stunning turn as the priest of the Mole People.

But I’d say my favorite skit involving Paul is when he comes up to the SoL to observe Mike. All the jabs and neither breaks character. “How I loathe him!”

8 Likes

This forum had me scared for a moment. Usually, when I see someone celebrating someone else, I expect the worst.

3 Likes