A reference so obscure only YOU got it?

I think you’re right, both are in Beginning of the End. Although I have heard the Rat Patrol—in color! reference in several movies where stock military footage is used.

I think those shows were a little before my time. Ironically though, for most of my childhood we only had a B/W TV so nothing was “in color!”

5 Likes

I love that. What other show narrowcasts jokes to one individual at a time!? So inefficient, but so delightful.

So, was Aunt Dan and Lemon any good?

6 Likes

I was wondering what all that “Koyaanisqatsi” stuff was about. :rofl:

Seems to me like Kevin is the most musical of the group. I always figured he came up with a lot of that stuff.

7 Likes

Oh I like those jokes too, the quip, “No more questions, more boobies” in Night of the Blood Beast cracked me up… but those are jokes everybody can understand. And I thought we were going for the obscure with this thread, no?

5 Likes

Indeed. See, everything devolves unless you keep an eye on it. You win again, entropy!

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

5 Likes

You said “boob.” :grinning:

5 Likes

Both were wayyy before my time (Combat was ‘62-‘67, Rat Patrol was ‘66-‘68), but my dad was in the Army, and he loved both of these shows and passed that love down to me. Both are great shows; Rat Patrol had a kinetic style and a great villain while Combat was ahead of its time in how it dealt with war and had a crackerjack cast and writing. Both are highly recommended!

But I did have a small black and white TV set as a kid…bunny ears and all!

4 Likes

Ironically, Vic Morrow would end up getting killed (due to negligence) in a scene in Twilight Zone: The Movie taking place during the Vietnam war. Not exactly bookends to a career, but he’s probably most well-known for Combat!

6 Likes

Oh, don’t even get me started. I rather fly into a bit of a rage every time John Landis’s name comes up. :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

I majored in Art at an overly pricey college and… I laugh at every single fart joke. Every time.
Something for everyone!
:woman_shrugging: :grin:

8 Likes

As I would wager most of us do.

8 Likes

I have not seen that! While there were so, so, SO many things wrong with Birdemic (“you’ll make this look good in post, right?”) but at least James Nguyen tries to write a story for his movies, and he’s got some sort of ethos and vision. Julie and Jack was almost an interesting plot, just executed abysmally. So I have more respect for him than for someone who pours millions of dollars into a cynical retread cash machine. (OTOH I watch every Marvel movie so… judge that as you will.)

His movies do still suck though. I mean, wow. What is it with him and bird effects?

4 Likes

When I was a (very nerdy) college student I had a collection of stickers to put on random objects that said something like:
WARNING: your use of this device may increase entropy, leading to the heat death of the Universe.

I was a huge nerd

11 Likes

There have been a couple instances through the years that made me double take, but sadly, due to my garbage memory, I can’t remember specifics off hand.

8 Likes

Yeah, he’s so earnest about his environmental message, and birthing these movies through force of will (rather than talent) it’s hard not to be in his corner at least a little. You have to admire his unique persistence.

Buuuut, the bird fixation isn’t doing his movies any favors.

4 Likes

It seems like being a nerd today is easier than it used to be. I guess we have all the nerdy tv shows, most of the internet, and tech billionaires to thank for that.

If you have enough money, it doesn’t matter if you have unusual interests/hobbies. Back in the day, I recall there was less nerd love.

nerd rage GIF

7 Likes

I like how one riff can be a Shakespeare reference immediately followed by something, er…less intellectually lofty.

10 Likes

Wow, lots of full episodes of both shows available on YouTube. I’ll definitely check that out.

Kids today will never understand that the youngest member of the family was the remote control—and often someone holding the antenna with another arm held skyward was they only way to get decent reception.

4 Likes

It makes me feel good knowing enjoy the same show as real-live art experts!

4 Likes

“Pine City Vo Tech” is dropped in a few episodes and my dad used to actually work there in the 90s. I asked him why the writers would’ve specifically used “Pine City Vo Tech” in a riff and his best guess was they had a big billboard campaign up and down I35 in between Minneapolis and Pine City around that time.

10 Likes