A REQUEST FROM THE MST3K TEAM: Tell us your FAVORITE moments from Season 13!

CRAP!!! I missed it!

5 Likes

Everything I loved has pretty much been listed by others, but here’s mine, too:

Kindhearted wrestlers - such a MSTie way of doing things
Mother Crabber (In fact, I loved everything about Beyond Atlantis)
The Smiths from Demon Squad and the fact that WE sparked a sequel (a first in MST3K history!)
Joel and Mary Jo, my two favorite cast members ever
Favorite riff - One! Singular sensation! Ah ah! (that one’s a triple word score)

11 Likes

I found the “Directional Eddie” convention sketch hilarious. My kids and I still like trying to think of directional Eddies who would have attended.

I loved the Cavalcade short - the short was so random in its topics and the jokes were really on point for that one.

The Synthia (and Mega Synthia and Pearl) selects segments were a really fun surprise…. Enjoyed those a lot.

So hard to pick out favorite riffs from the movies, as there are so many great ones! I did want to say I appreciated the variety of movies from different decades this season. Bad movies from different eras all kind of bring their own flavor of funny riffs to the table I find.

Thanks for a great season!

11 Likes

Favorite Invention Exchange: the Pop Duster from The Bubble.

I dig the Invention Exchanges in general, but this one really captured the feel and flavor of the old school Invention Exchanges.

5 Likes

Oooo and the return of a black and white movie with The Mask

15 Likes

YES, great point! The black-and-white movies were always a ride, and it was terrific to see the first black-and-white movie since Horrors of Spider Island from Season 10.

7 Likes

I like how they finally riffed a movie that felt like an old Twilight Zone/Night Gallery episode

8 Likes

Oh, since I’ve seen other people comment on it, the reaction to Demon Squad was a lot of fun to see. It was Joel’s trimphant return, but it seemed like we spent more time talking about how good the movie was, and then we got to know the people who made it. Emily was as enthusiastic as the rest of us, and it felt like the movie was put out there to share that enthusiasm. That’s what MST3K is all about, and now we’ve got a new Kickstarter to keep track of.

17 Likes

I’m going to remark again at just how quickly Emily and her bots endeared themselves to me. They’re the new kids, and I thought I’d need a few episodes to cope, but I was 100% sold by the end of Beyond Atlantis. Connor is quietly becoming my favorite Tom (Not sure if he’ll ever surpass the mighty Kevin Murphy, but he’s getting close), and Kelsey’s Crow feels as “right” to me as any of the previous Crows ever did.

21 Likes

Amen to all of this.

The new crew hit the ground running, and the maddest respect goes to Emily, Conor, Kelsey, and Yvonne for kicking it clear through the goalposts on Mars.

13 Likes

I definitely want to join in on the love for Cavalcade, and it has one of my favorite lines and readings: “Because hell is full.”

Mothercrabber was hilarious, and Beyond Atlantis had one my favorite riffs: “They stuck tiny Japanese flags on me!” which is so random and hilarious. I love it! That episode told me that Emily’s crew would be wonderful.

Definitely Joel’s return was a highlight, and I loved Tom’s return to his original voice for a bit. I also love Joel’s freakout in The Bubble.

The airplane stewardess skit in Robot Wars was a great skit. Tom and Crow’s costumes and hair were on point, and their discussion about the lead male character being almost attractive but for that one thing.

I also enjoyed that there was a nice mix of movies, including movies that were fun to watch and not a grueling slog, like Demon Squad and Doctor Mordrid and the Christmas Dragon.

I’m sure I’m missing a lot, but these are just my initial thoughts.

13 Likes

Why, when overwhelmed by such a wealth of S13 options from which to choose, does my brain short-circuit and settle on Batwoman’s side-hustle delivering whale tampons?

11 Likes

Soooooooo many. I don’t know where to star…no wait, I do.

Right from the get-go. The wrestlers challenging each other to a friendly off.

Not only was this funny as written, but the performances nailed it! The deliveries were spot-on, especially Tom Servo as an overly aggressive Macho-Man. I still can’t watch this sequence without giggling to myself.
And seeing as how soon into the pilot episode this was, it dragged home for me that I was in good hands for this season. I would love to share this one around to get others to see what they might be missing out on.

Of course so much funny stuff later on, including some amazing highlights already referenced. But as the first to get me to laugh out loud a disclaim how “I needed this!”, it holds a special place in my heart.

cliche cliche

7 Likes

Geezmaweez I did too!

5 Likes

Pearl bonding with Kinga, and then upsetting the apple cart for Xmas, because… well, she’s Pearl. :grin:

7 Likes

I’m just loving reading all these. Many of my highlights were also others’, which is nice. (I’m not standing all alone in the comedy field for once, ma!)

Let me add a few:

• The commercials. I hate commercials. I stopped watching commercial TV years ago. I have an ad blocker. But anyone who claims not to love 90-foot Dolemites, razorblade wielding octotom, or Crow pitching This Island Earth to BearManor lies, I say! Lies!

• The commercials were enhanced by Mary Jo and Synthia, as was everything. They are my favorite comedy duo since Trace & Frank.

• I loved how free everything felt. Anyone could show up and end up riffing.

• I loved the movie selection. Gems! 100% cinematic ge—well, okay, they were all pretty cheesy. But the variety was wonderful. I love the '90s era Robot Wars, Doctor Mordrid and Munchie, but it was so good to have the older cheese, like The Bubble and The Mask…and the nacho cheese, Santo. Christmas Dragon was astonishing, and Demon Wars showed that microbudgeted stuff can really work well.

• Who doesn’t love the makers of Demon Wars?

• It just all worked for me. It felt more MST3K than anything. In a weird way, it reminded me of Cinematic Titanic, in the sense that it was made for us. Not for a streaming executive or an “exciting demo”, but for the people who “get it”. S13 goes down as one of my favorite seasons ever, if not my favorite.

• Staggered release. An episode and a short per month meant there was always something to look forward to. And we all got to watch and enjoy together and savor a bit before the next one came out. It works better this way than (e.g.) “The Gauntlet”.

• Joel Robinson: I think Mr. H has hit a sweet spot with as our now more mature original test subject.

• Team Connor: Goes down smooth. I think Jonah did a really fine job directing the new team, too. I noticed his name on some of my favorite episodes.

17 Likes

Oh, and of course I love Turkules so much that I made a whole thread in his honor. :turkey:

13 Likes

On a more general note, I just want to say that I loved how the show could employ greenscreens and STILL maintain that MST3K feel.

This isn’t a show that needs practical sets in order to do what it does. MST3K represents something bigger than that. The all-encompassing humor and just-as-all-encompassing heart of the show are its most important elements (wielded here by a cast and creative team who UNDERSTAND what MST3K is about at its very core), and that’s something that transcends practical sets, and you see that with each and every episode of Season 13.

19 Likes

Turkules! :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

He left that mic on deliberately. It was ALL part of the plan. :wink:

7 Likes