A thread for D&D nonsense šŸ‰ āš”

Yeah that sounds coolā€¦
Paul Newman GIF

1 Like

I have removed draft status from our rules document, and locked it down to disallow editing. We can still make future adjustments if necessary, but can consider it our starting ground rules document. Since it is quite lengthy, I think I will just add the first 3 sections (up to joining the party) to the kick off post for the campaign, and then link to the Google doc for the remaining rules. For reference, here is the link again:

Mystery Science Pathfinder 3000 Play by Post Rules

Players, what do you think?

3 Likes

Ready to goā€¦ fireball cominā€™ online!

(Actually more like one measly magic missile cominā€™ onlineā€¦ but we do what we canā€¦)

2 Likes

Ready to learn the adventure background.

2 Likes

Looks good to me.

1 Like

Link to the campaign thread, hope to see you all there:

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy to help anyone who is having trouble getting their character built.

Should we submit character sheets now if we have them? If so, where to?

2 Likes

Yes, please PM me with your character. Please note, it seems the attachment function does not seem to work. You can either provide it in text form, or preferably, I will provide you with my email and you can send it to me in whatever format works for you.

2 Likes

I will fill out that pdf, and try to send that along to you !

1 Like

So, I tried reading the Pathfinder rules and boy howdy is it more complicated than I expected. I mean, after years of playing one specific MUD maybe I over-estimated my knowledge of these thingsā€¦

So, just how beginner of a campaign are you running @TheHippy?

2 Likes

It should be very beginner friendly. It is a bit of an experiment for me as well, but beginners are always welcome at my table.

2 Likes

Heā€™s leading me through getting my character generated !

I think you can do it, too !

1 Like

If anybody wants to volunteer to help me write up my rogue, Iā€™ll take it. Iā€™ve found some sites to help make character sheets, and frankly, itā€™s a lot.

3 Likes

How far have you gotten?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how many copies Iā€™ve already sent to the Hippy to look at, but heā€™s helped me the whole way.

Herolab was very useful, and you can register for free, and transfer your sheet into a text file, which you can attach to an email or post here in the thread.

Hereā€™s my fighter, a dwarf named Francis Coleman. Since this is a dungeon crawl, I donā€™t know how ā€œfleshed outā€ the characters need to be. Iā€™ve got a good idea of what motivates my character, as well as his backgroundā€¦He is on the hunt for one Cherokee Jack, a rapscallion that was supposed to ferry him to an island for a hostile takeover, but instead took a bribe and turned poor Francis and his companions into prisoners. They escaped, and Francis threw a half duck man down a well; his biggest conflict is how he manages this and stays neutral good.

Francis Coleman
Male dwarf fighter 1
NG Medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init 1; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +2 (+4 to notice unusual stonework)

Defense

AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16 (+5 armor, +1 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 14 (1d10+4)
Fort 5, Ref 1, Will 2; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities
Defensive Abilities defensive training

Offense

Speed 20 ft.
Melee battleaxe +4 (1d8+3 S/Ɨ3) or
dagger +4 (1d4+3 P or S/19+)
Ranged javelin +2 (1d6+3 P) or
shortbow +2 (1d6 P/Ɨ3)

Statistics

Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 9
Base Atk +1; CMB 4; CMD 15 (19 vs. bull rush, 19 vs. trip)
Feats Defensive Combat Training, Endurance
Skills Acrobatics -5 (-9 to jump), Appraise +0 (+2 to assess nonmagical metals or gemstones), Heal +3, Perception +2 (+4 to notice unusual stonework), Stealth -4; Racial Modifiers +2 Appraise to assess nonmagical metals or gemstones, +2 Perception to notice unusual stonework
Languages Common, Dwarven
Combat Gear oil (2); Other Gear scale mail, light steel shield, battleaxe, dagger, javelin (2), shortbow, arrows (20), ale (per gallon), backpack, bedroll, chalk (5), explorerā€™s outfit, firewood (per day) (3), flint and steel, hemp rope (50 ft.), lamp, soap (2), torch (5), trail rations (10), waterskin (2), 24 gp, 2 sp

Special Abilities

Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Defensive Training +4 Gain a dodge bonus to AC vs. monsters of the Giant subtype.
Endurance +4 to a variety of fort saves, skill and ability checks. Sleep in L/M armor with no fatigue.
Greed +2 to Appraise to determine price of nonmagic goods with precious metals or gemstones.
Hatred +1 Gain a racial bonus to attacks vs. Goblinoids/Orcs.
Stonecunning +2 +2 bonus to Perception vs. unusual stonework. Free check within 10 feet.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll switch over to herolab since thatā€™s what @TheHippy uses.

How far have I gottenā€¦? Well heā€™s a thief, loves a caper, possibly named John Law (since Diabolik doesnā€™t have a name). I just realized he was also in Space Mutiny and my mind is blown. I saw some of the lists of options and kinda blacked out for a minute.

Expectations are heā€™s shady, sneaky, stabby and scout-y. Producing that is another thing.

Iā€™m still working on a legit personality, which may come to me when something funny happens and I lean into it. I do think he has to have some redeeming qualities other than ā€œrogue-ing goodā€

2 Likes

If you want to be an all-around rogue then you can probably skip all of the archetypes. You donā€™t have to worry about Rogue Talents until level 2. So you get a bunch of skill points to assign, and one feat, or two if youā€™re human.
Youā€™ll probably want Weapon Finesse as your feat unless youā€™re going for a high Strength or intend to be a sniper (in which case you probably want Point Blank Shot).
As for skills, you definitely want Stealth, Perception, Disable Device. Probably Sleight of Hand. Anything identified as a class skill is good.

2 Likes

Also Bluff.

2 Likes

You need to generate ability scores, if you havenā€™t already. You start with scores of 10 in all the 6 abilities: strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution, charisma. Then you have 20 points to spend to improve them, according to this chart:

Score Points
7 ā€“4
8 ā€“2
9 ā€“1
10 0
11 1
12 2
13 3
14 5
15 7
16 10
17 13
18 17

As a rogue you want your highest score in Dexterity. What I did with my wizard was put 10 points into Intelligence, giving her a 16, and then added my +2 bonus (for being a human) on top of it for a maximum score of 18. That gives me a +4 bonus in most of my wizardly stuff.

If you have an 18 Dex then you have +4 bonuses to all your thief-y skills, and to your Armor Class and your Reflex saving throws.

If you want to play a race other than human, you get bonuses to other ability scores.

You should bump up your Constitution score so you get extra hit points, and make Rogue your preferred class so you get another hit point on top of that.

I didnā€™t bother with an archetype for my character or any other non-basic stuff.

2 Likes

Is int important as well for rogue? I guess for trappy things, maybe? I gather wisdom is a bit of a dump stat.

I was leaning towards the general ā€œthiefā€ racket. Seemed well rounded, I guess?

2 Likes