A thread for D&D nonsense 🐉 ⚔

Inspire courage affects spell attack rolls, but not damage.

3 Likes

If they are (ranged) touch attacks, which most damaging spells are, they do get the bonus.

2 Likes

Man, I have been wasting Medio’s potential by not sneak attack casting! Will remedy that in the future!

3 Likes

So, if I have got this right:

Any spell with at attack roll that causes damage can benefit from additional sneak attack damage.

Any spell with an attack roll also benefits from Inspire Courage (+1 attack). But, it has to be a ranged touch attack to get +1 damage

3 Likes

Damage is a bit more tricky than that, it will normally not get the bonus from Inspire courage. It will need to be a touch attack, whether ranged or not, just like on the to hit. But to get the damage bonus it would also have to qualify as a weapon, which few spells will do.

2 Likes

Update way later!

I figured out some characteristics for Henley, and although I missed some opportunities to lean into them I did manage some cool nonsense and chime in far more than with my barbarian, which led to having much more fun.

I wanna thank folks who gave advice- just jumping into RP made a huge difference and I feel better able to engage with my barbarian who will hopefully be less dull in future sessions when I go back to him. (We play a series of loosely-connected one-offs as guild members, so characters swap in and out occasionally.)

We’re looking at other games for our next couple of sessions because our usual D&D DM has to step away from that role for a bit and the guy who’s stepping in for her has a handful that he likes and wants to play- RIFTS and Deadlands have been proposed as options. But the characters I’ve got so far are getting better-defined pretty quick because of this last one-off.

4 Likes

Awesome, that’s so cool that you found a way to work with it! You can play a total enigma, a cartoon character, a goblin who communicates by odor - any character can join a welcoming party and get into the RP mix.

OK, communicating by odor might be a stretch. You should bring smell-o-vision cards for that. Maybe just for a one-shot. That could get old.

3 Likes

Been wondering - can my hafling character hide behind the taller party members? In case I’m stranded miles from cover, for instance. I’m unclear on what kind of situations make for possible hiding.

2 Likes

There is a feat for that, I think.

2 Likes

Corollary: If your stealth roll was good enough, would the taller person even know you were hiding behind them?

2 Likes

Actually, what I was thinking of is not a feat. It is an alternate halfling racial trait called Human Shadow.

2 Likes

I’m hiding behind you right now. You tell me.

2 Likes

There is some kind of feat or rogue talent or what-have-you for making it work different/better, but I’m curious if I can do it at all.

2 Likes

As a halfling Johnny could attempt to hide behind a medium sized creature with a -10 penalty to the check.

2 Likes

It doesn’t work if you tell me!

2 Likes

I’ve never played (wish that I did), and I don’t have anything to contribute here other than two things:

1. I just finished the Honor Among Thieves movie and loved loved loved the hell out of it.

2. I enjoy seeing y’all discuss D&D jazz in this thread, even though I haven’t played it.

As you were.

3 Likes

FWIW, I really had never played (well, once 35-ish years ago, but it doesn’t really count) until I joined the campaign we have going.

It has been fun, but I’ve had many swings from “I have no idea what I’m doing” to “I got this” and back and forth again.

4 Likes

That’s the biggest reason why I didn’t jump into the campaign. I haven’t played D&D since the 80s and I’ve never heard of Pathfinder. I figured I’d be a bigger hindrance than a help to any campaign.

2 Likes

Aw, c’mon. You can learn the rules along the way.

3 Likes

The worst treatment you’ll get for being the new player is an endearing nickname from @NotTVsFrank. :wink:

The hardest part about joining late, for me, was working my character into the story.

2 Likes