A thread for D&D nonsense šŸ‰ āš”

Any luck? Dying to play-by-post or anything where I get to RP but donā€™t have to be the DM for a change. XD

2 Likes

I think this weekend I will institute a search for that module, and then put out a call to see who here is up for it.

2 Likes

A lot of the classic D&D stuff is also available on DriveThruRPG. I think the big thing for DMs Guild is the fact that they have semi-official canon-ish expansions that WotC wouldnā€™t release as a full book for a variety of reasons (budget, marketing, etc.).

2 Likes

1 Like

Drive Thru RPG is part of the same site now.

2 Likes

Heads up- Kalymba has 14 hours left. I really wish I had the extra money this month to support this, but at least I can give them a signal boost.

1 Like

I have some PDFs in storage of the 3.0e modules the Sunless Citadel, the Forge of Fury and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. (Before anyone DMs me asking for those, the answer is NO.)

All three were great adventures. My old DND group though refused to play WOTCā€™s modules.

1 Like

I played D&D once as a kid. It was at a friendā€™s birthday party - probably 13th? - and since it was his party, he was DMā€™ing. It was his first time DMā€™ing. Most of us (besides him) had never actually played before. Every move encountered a monster. I donā€™t think that is how it generally works if youā€™re running a newbie/ā€œeasyā€ campaign. Whole thing (including character creation) lasted maybe half an hour? I seem to recall we all died.

Iā€™ve played a MUD (Hexonyx) off and on since the mid-90s, which seems D&D adjacent. Iā€™m interested in seeing real play/trying my hand again. The FLGS in town used to run Monday night games (they stopped at the start of the pandemic and I donā€™t know if they started up again), but the timing for it doesnā€™t work for me. So, Iā€™m left at the ā€œD&D Curiousā€ stage, I guess.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not watched it myself, but Critical Role is very popular. Perhaps watching a little of that might get you an idea of how all the parts come together.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s a common approach for young newbie DMā€™sā€¦ whatā€™s the point of having a room if thereā€™s no monster in it?

1 Like

Critical Role is amazing, but itā€™s one flaw is that itā€™s not a realistic view of D&D. Matt Mercer, the DM, is incredibly prepared and skilled at his role. The players are all talented voice actors and play well together. So itā€™s amazing to watch or listen to. So if you sit down with friends to play, your reality check is that not everyone quite knows the rules and itā€™s not nearly as fancy an experience. When youā€™re DM doesnā€™t provide a unique voice for every single character you encounter and youā€™re like hey, whereā€™s all the production values? This is just a basement! Youā€™ll realize you got spoiled on Critical Role.

Still, Iā€™ve listened to a bunch of Critical Role and learned lots of the rules from it, got ideas about how to play, and tried it - and love it. So itā€™s a great example of a very fancy, extremely well put together campaign. Just remember your own experience may be more basic, but can still be incredibly rewarding.

2 Likes

Crap, Iā€™m itching to play and didnā€™t realize it. :rofl:

1 Like

Funny story.

I wrote the system for and ran Toon LARPs with Doc Cross. Some of my best gaming times ever.

4 Likes

I miss my LARPing days. My little nerd clique would have HFS (high fantasy society, bopping people with padded swords in a park), scatter to eat and shower/change, then reconverge at the college campus to LARP Vampire the Masquerade late into the night. Good dang times.

2 Likes

Onyx Path, the game company that has commercials on MST3K, publishes licensed materials for Vampire: The Masquerade and the other World of Darkness games. Thought it was interesting that they focus on their kaiju game on the show when there are probably a lot of MSTies who played those LARP games back in the day.

3 Likes

I had no idea. I thought Iā€™d have to have a 50ā€™ Dolemite to play their games.

2 Likes

Also, @AndrewCrossett WHEN are we doing this play-by-post thing? Iā€™m here for it and I think as few other people in this thread have expressed interest!

1 Like

I have so far been defeated in my attempts to find the module I want to start with. I know itā€™s here somewhere.

I actually am a little afraid of being killed by a falling stack of books while searching for it.

You think Iā€™m kidding.

If I donā€™t find it soon I might see if I can find a digital copy for sale online. That might even be better because then I could post illustrations as visual aids.

1 Like

Ohhh yeah, I forgot that was something that needed to happen first.

(Darth Vader voice) I find your lack of shelving disturbing.

1 Like

I would need more rooms to have more shelving.

1 Like