A Video History of the Mike vs Joel fan feud and Why it was silly to have chosen a side.

Hey, I did a very deep dive into what caused the internet to feel the need to chose sides and how it all played out in the end. Hope you enjoy. Please do not think I’m trying to start this flame war again, I love both hosts.

Also a long time ago I made some MST3K on Shark Tank Mashups you may have seen TV’s Frank and AVClub feature.

12 Likes

WHAT???

How dare you claim xxxx is better than xxxx!

I’m going to eat your lunch, you hippie!

It is on!!!

:grin:

/* ETA, and, yes, I do appreciate your efforts, OP: I haven’t managed to watch all of them yet, but I’ll look forward to giving them the attention they’re due ASAP. */

5 Likes

Look, we already had the death match about hanging toilet paper less than two weeks ago.

Please, Folks. Learn to pace yourselves. :sweat:

5 Likes

That was a fun watch, thank you!

4 Likes

So in regard to the bad timeline, where Mike continued his band and his brother Eddie went to the SOL: The thing that made that timeline worse wasn’t Mike being missing, it was that had ever been born?

3 Likes

when i first got into mst3k i did like mike more. joel was like a fine wine, i needed to sit with his humor a while for me to fully appreciate it. now i like them both equally.

5 Likes

Oh, dear. No mention of The Mads Are Back? :frowning: Oh, well. Apart from that, I really enjoyed this.

I’ve always been kind of tickled at how some people play up the two hosts’ differences and completely don’t notice their similarities. Supposedly there weren’t any “blue” jokes from Joel. Uh, wrong. Supposedly Joel never tried to escape from the S.O.L. Also wrong.

I think there might have been one interview where he said something like, “Oh c’mon we’re both just doughy doofuses from the Midwest.” Which, in general, is how I feel about them, too. <3 (As a loud, frenetic, ragey-for-no-reason born-Northeasterner, both of them seemed pretty damn exotic to me when we first “met.” lol.)

6 Likes

As a doughy doofus from the Midwest, I agree!

2 Likes

I never thought the important difference was between the hosts, but in how the show changed after it moved to the Sci-Fi channel and Trace and Frank were both gone. The writing style is entirely different at that point.

4 Likes

Yeah, I never got the hate between the Joel vs. Mike thing. It was never Mike’s fault that Joel left. However, while I do seem to prefer the episodes and/or segments with Mike more, the Joel episodes are enjoyable too. Just my opinion on the matter.

2 Likes

SILLY?! SILLLLEEEEEEE?!?!

What? That was the reply.

2 Likes

Stop this post immediately. It’s become far too silly.

7 Likes

Wow! I didn’t expect that to work!

2 Likes

My favourite host is Joikahly. And while that is not a hill I will die on, it is a gentle rise on which I am prepared to suffer a minor stitch.

3 Likes

Yeah, I never got into the so-called ‘flame war’. I mean, I prefer Joel, but Mike’s funny, too, and 2 of my 3 favorite seasons (6 and 8) are Mike seasons. [Although I think from the lineup and the writers’ room that season 13 is going to be KILLER]

Also can’t ever imagine Joel shouting ‘Are you ready for some football???’ which just kills me every time.

2 Likes

He did write a treatise about it on Kickstarter, though. (Football readying, I mean.) It felt longer than Berlin Alexanderplatz. :wink: That’s why I eschew sports. They’re too complicated.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I still don’t understand how all those Mike fans can be so wrong.