Alan Hale Jr. Endless Pep?

He was in a lot of schlocky movies, but he always looked happy to be there. Like he was enjoying himself.

1 Like

Was he ever not smiling? I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Who would play Alan Hale Jr if they made a film on him? Today’s Russell Crowe without the beard?

1 Like

I knew he was big, but didn’t realize he was this big.

2 Likes

It’s quite the image to wrap your mind around.

Seeing what he’s done. The television material appears more untouched than the movies.

2 Likes

This might be the last time he ever played The Skipper-

2 Likes

Looking at his guest appearances, I suddenly wonder what the feasability is of getting a couple episodes of Magnum PI or The Love Boat or something like that and sewing them together for an MST3K episode.

1 Like

A poster for an early movie foreshadows the skipper.

You could be forgiven for thinking Harry Langon, on the right, is Alan Hale Jr., because in his later years, he would sorta look like that. But he’s the skinny young farmer on the left.

In the middle is Noah Beery Jr., son and nephew of once famous actors, and probably best known today for playing James Garner’s father on “The Rockford Files”.

And here’s his unmistakable grin in Shores of Tripoli, which he starred in with a young Maureen O’Hara and, pictured here with Harry Morgan, best known for “MAS*H” and “Dragnet”.

Sometimes it’s shocking to see these people young.

1 Like

On a similar note, there’s a 1955 movie called The Court Jester starring Danny Kaye where the hawt princess is portrayed by Angela Lansbury.

5 Likes

Not to mention the also-hawt Glynis Johns, who is now 99.

4 Likes

I could never abide Gilligan’s Island even as a young pup. And yet, I don’t mind watching Alan Hale, Jr. in any of these turkeys. (Go figure.) He shows up and gets the job done. Can’t ask for more, really. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because I knew her first as middle-aged, but to me she looks, like, pre-emptively old even in her early movies. Even when she’s 19 in Gaslight. Maybe it’s just me:

In Jester, she’s 30, and a scant seven years away to play the mother of the 34-year-old Raymond Massey in Manchurian Candidate:

But then she never seemed to change much after that over the next 50 years. Glynis Johns also played a hawt princess at 30:

Who becomes a hawt pirate:

Unrelated, she also played a mermaid!

3 Likes

Hated all of them with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, but especially “Gilligan’s Island”, "Brady Bunch, “Batman” and “Scooby-Doo”. (If you’re like me, and I know I am, my Gen X after-school care was typically “sit down and watch TV or you’ll be sorry”.)

That said, didn’t really care the loathing to the people involved (none of them forced me to watch their shows). I’ve heard some very touching stories about Bob Denver.

And I have revised my opinion of the 1966 “Batman”. But I understand my young self hating it.

3 Likes

I was showing Johnny Dangerously to my daughter and guess who shows up playing- what else- a cop (with an Irish accent)?

5 Likes

Here’s a video of the very last reunion of the full Gilligan’s Island cast.

4 Likes