All female cast watch-along request

I need to put this request out there for input from all. I want to see a watch-along with all of the female cast members - Mary Jo Pehl, Rebecca Hanson, Yvonne Freese, Emily Connor, and Felicia Day.

We should vote on an especially cringe worthy movie with upsetting portrayals of women, for example The Wild World of Batwoman.

I’ve been watching RiffTrax episodes with Mary Jo and Bridget Nelson and they are awesome! If we can get Bridget to join in that would be amazing!

I can’t be the only Mystie that wants to see this happen.

What episodes would be great for this watch-along?

56 Likes

Viking Women, natch! (& its legendary Home Ec short)

Bridget and MJ have already re-riffed Angel’s Revenge, but I haven’t seen their version yet.

Imagine if they could get hold of The Doll Squad, which Cinematic Titanic (including MJ) riffed live but I believe they were not able to release on disc because of some legal issue or another.

16 Likes

Yes! Great suggestions - keep them coming!

5 Likes

Horrors of Spider Island would be good too.

9 Likes

Of course, if you really want to subvert the dominant paradigm (or whatever corporate lingo is big these days), hand them something like Lost Continent, which has almost no feminine participation at all. See what they’d pull out of their hats during the endless Lifetime-For-Men exchanges during the endless rock-climbing scenes. :wink: Better yet, the magical banger-fest that is Gorgo. :smiley:

15 Likes

Or something else with an extra helping of beef head mentality! Unfortunately we just did Space Mutiny otherwise that would have been a good one.

The Joe Don Baker episodes have a good underlying theme of masculinity gone stupid.

8 Likes

The following could be good, though admittedly I haven’t seen a lot of these.

Women of the Prehistoric Planet
Jungle Goddess
Bride of the Monster
The Wild World of Batwoman
Racket Girls
Samson vs The Vampire Women
The Loves of Hercules (this episode may be too new for a watch along)

I just grabbed these titles from the Gizmoplex as examples. Better suggestions needed!

6 Likes

Was about to suggest Queen of Outer Space before realising that it hasn’t been done yet. I’m sure I’ve seen it riffed somewhere, how strange.

7 Likes

Definitely needs Bridget! I like this idea a lot! They would be great for Racket Girls!

11 Likes

The Million Eyes of Sumuru is a top choice, it’s one of the most ceaselessly women-hating films in the MST3K catalog.

8 Likes

I want to see an all-female riff of Gorgo so they can discuss whether the Bechdel test can be failed if there aren’t even enough women in the movie to have a conversation in the first place.

8 Likes

It definitely can. :smiley:

(Cue a bunch of YouTube trolls whining about how a lot of bad movies pass the test, deliberately missing the point that whether the movie being studied is good or bad isn’t the issue.)

10 Likes

They did do a watch-along of Delta Knights with most of these people during the kickstarter, but Emily’s not part of it and Joel is:

2 Likes

J.R. is the U.S.A.'s only licensed male Girl Scout Troop leader! :saluting_face:

3 Likes

I liked their version of it, and all of their riffing in general. They really get into the musical numbers.

10 Likes

Angels Revenge was my first thought but that’s been covered. I haven’t seen anyone suggest one of my favorites though: Girls Town!

10 Likes

Girls Town would be good :blush:

2 Likes

Gravity was a good one. George Clooney don’t count since it’s just his voice.

2 Likes

If cringe-worthy episodes are what you’re looking for, then it’s gotta be:
Wild Wild World of Batwoman
The Violent Years
Angels Revenge

But does it have to be cringe-worthy? A more positive one might be Gunslinger. Or maybe Swamp Diamonds. It may not exactly be positive, but it’s not as bad as Angels.

8 Likes

I love this idea (kinda been expecting it to happen on its own) and I want to throw Alien From L.A. into the ring.

I would love to get a new perspective on the vocal choices that were made by (for?) Kathy Ireland.

7 Likes