All Things Marvel/DC (Movies or TV shows)

Iron Man was always my favorite Marvel along with Doctor Strange. I agree with everything you’ve written here about Iron Man. I always knew he would make a great film if someone who understood him did it. That’s what happened and I’m still thrilled.

2 Likes

Yeah. I know what it is. But except for a brief period during Civil War it’s always been portrayed humorously. I’m questioning it being a drama, not what it is.

Really? You’d include G’nort before including Guy? That feels like a mistake. You have to establish what a GL is before making fun of it.

I’ve never forgotten. Never.

My point was more that other than Booster fans, few see him as more than a joke. Which is fine. It’s his gimmick. But it would take a great writer to make him seem like a money grubbing idiot, competent hero, swaggering jackass, tragic time traveler, and backbone of the JLI all in one movie. That’s a hard needle to thread. Not saying it can’t be done, just saying it’s hard to do.

1 Like

Ugh. I don’t much like Iron Man, but that statement always felt like a fundamental misunderstanding of who Iron Man is and who Elon Musk is. That feels like a misunderstanding on the level of “Tony Montana was heroic” and “Warhammer 40k isn’t satire.”

I will admit to being one of those naysayers. But, I’m actually quite glad you and other Iron Fans proved me wrong, and I will admit we never would have gotten an MCU if not for the success of Iron Man. So, for what it’s worth, “Thank You.”

2 Likes

There’s an HBO Green Lantern series that has dibs on Guy, so I figured “Let’s go with the cute dog!”.

But I was proposing 3 films in alongside other DC movies?

2 Likes

I’m not going into verbal puke of nerdiness to prove anything. I read comics, have collected for years, and couldn’t tell anyone crap about what Marvel character stole the Infinity Gem from a 1978 Ford Pinto. I experience stories differently. I don’t absorb and regurgitate. That being said, I noticed I’ve enjoyed the Marvel movies because the story-telling is similar to my enjoyment with WCW in the mid-90s. Stay with me. Last episode of Hawkeye, Kingpin had a quick appearance. That got me excited. Like Scott Hall and Kevin Nash just showing up on Monday Nitro to wreak havoc and then forming NWO. It’s exciting to see what characters are going to get woven into the story even if you know little about those characters. Like Grandma sticking to her soaps day after day despite favorite characters being killed off.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I love G’nort. I’m just saying that to spoof GLs you gotta know what they are. Even in Brave and the Bold animated series they teamed up Guy and G’nort to make it work.

Also Guy is possibly getting his own series? I’m not sure how to feel about that.

I’m aware. I still think it wouldn’t be easy. Even with three movies. It’s very hard to make Booster a credible hero without sacrificing his comedic elements. And even then he’d have to lose his competence in the eyes of other heroes by the end movies because being seen as a crappy hero is such a key part of his character (IMO). But I’m a skeptic. I also though Deadpool would never be a movie, and was happily proven wrong. But anyway, we’re getting into the weeds with wouldas and couldas here. Point is, you’re right, Booster’s great and we need more Bwahahaha.

Heck, you could even shoehorn the flavor into the MCU if you use Giffen and DeMatties’ Defenders series.

1 Like

I see Giffen and DeMatteis all over the MCU, hell I see them all over every modern Superhero product.

JLI might be the most important and influential American comic book series of all time, which is probably why Dan DiDio hated it so much!

3 Likes

Absolutely agree to disagree. I mean I LOVE JLI. Don’t get me wrong, I would put it above a lot of comics. But most important and influential of all time? I absolutely do not see that.

Not that I’m saying you’re wrong, of course! You can feel however you want… but to say Giffen and DeMatteis’ impact outranks creators like Lee and Kirby and Siegel and Shuster and Eisner and a host of others, well, I can’t get behind that.

1 Like

Just picked up and watched the Batman: The Long Halloween animated adaptation. Not bad, stylistically appealing, though it deviates from the source in a couple of ways.

Speaking of highly influential comics that don’t get much look-in these days, I recommend Squadron Supreme. It was the author’s lovechild and is a Marvel take on the DC universe. It was one of the very first comic book series to address the reality of superheroes and how their grandiose actions might play out in the real world.

3 Likes

So without spoilers, I can tell you that Spider-Man: NWH was very good. I would not categorize it as the best Marvel film of all time, but it was definitely an excellent film.

I would have preferred it if they had picked just ONE of the older Spideys to be in the film (either Tobey or Andrew; I’m not picky) and then introduced Miles Morales, but that’s mainly due to my mild disdain for most fanservice elements, and if there’s one thing this movie has, it’s fanservice. That aside, it’s definitely the best of the Phase 4 movies so far, although I’d say Shang Chi is comparable (although the box office unfortunately won’t reflect that).

2 Likes

I liked it, even though I hadn’t seen the Andrew Garfield or first two Tom Holland movies. While I didn’t have the same visceral reaction other people in the theater did, I felt good for them. They were having fun. It meant something to them. Viewed one way, the entire MCU is fanservice. Fans like being serviced.

It reminded me of Endgame. I was struck by how the makers of the MCU have managed to make so many people care deeply about these characters which have been important to me since the 1980s when I set up about reading the entire run of the Avengers, Iron Man, Doctor Strange and so forth.

Great cinema? I don’t know about that. However, IMO movies that push these many buttons have to have a least a slice of what makes cinema great.

1 Like

I guess spoilers are cool now?

1 Like

Are you using something other than the website to view the forum? The above two posts have things blurred out for me, so no spoilers (which is good as it will be after the holidays before I can even think of sitting down to watch this!)

2 Likes

Raymond left the blurred part unblurred in his first post and then went back and edited it, I think.

1 Like

I did. I realized my mistake and corrected it.

2 Likes

I really dug the vintage feel of Wandavision, and even Loki. I hope they do more time period pieces and give them their own visual look.

I LOVED No Way Home. But Spiderman is my favorite superhero, so I’m bias.

I cried like 5 times in the movie.

I’m really excited about Thor’s Love & Thunder. I didn’t really like Thor, or his movies until I saw Ragnarok, and I really love how comedic they took it.

Would love to see Hulk have another movie like Ragnarok, where he plays a big supportive role outside of an Avengers film.

3 Likes

Well Hulk can’t have a solo movie right now anyways; because Universal voluntarily relinquished the film rights to Hulk and Namor back to Marvel/Disney before the time was up on them, Universal retains the right of first distribution for them. Marvel gets around that by having them show up in other character’s films (i.e. Thor and allegedly, if RUMINT is to be believed, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever for Namor).

1 Like

I honestly don’t think I want a solo hulk movie. But who knows, many Marvel will do a solo one in the future that isn’t an origins film, and knock our socks off. I just think the Hulk is too far into the whole thing to be treated to an origins film. Maybe she hulk?

1 Like

She-Hulk’s got the show coming up already. I think it’s supposed to come out sometime next year.

1 Like

I’m thinking a Red Hulk movie could really be a draw and a way to reintroduce the character, but maybe I’m just blue skying.

1 Like