Am I the only person who loves "Daddy-O"?

It is certainly not the worst movie to be given the works. Not by a long shot. But the riffs are so on-point.

I think this was my first time realizing that a movie does not have to be center-of-the-ninth-circle-of-Hell awful in order for the jokes to be incredibly funny.

13 Likes

Nope, I love Daddy-O. It’s really tight on the riffing plus Jana is kind of an awesome character imo. I adore a lot of the older black-and-white b movies of the classic era BECAUSE they weren’t that awful – they were just silly and inexpensive to make. The Rebel Set is another good example. Also The Beatniks, which I often confuse with The Rebel Set (shut up Iris).

16 Likes

The riffing is good but I find the actual movie to be painful to watch, it’s definitely a once in a blue moon episode for me.

3 Likes

Not at all!! I love that genre of episode and Daddy-o is great.

5 Likes

@Lesley - I just loveLoveLOVE that “Daddy-O” host segment where the film’s improbable goon Bruce (Mike) shows up on the hexfield trying to come off as threatening as he does in the actual film (which is to say, not at all), and J&TB just totally ignoring him.

“The Beatniks” is indeed another one that doesn’t get nearly enough love beyond “Shut up, Iris.”

6 Likes

@Lesley, I don’t think I had ever seen “Untamed Youth” before the Kickstarter livestream, but it’s definitely another example in that category.

4 Likes

I think it’s great because the actors believe they are in a great movie and act sincerely. So I enjoy the chance to hike, hike, hike up my pants with Frank and get into this one!

6 Likes

It’s one thing to put forth your best effort when you think you are in a good movie, but you really gotta admire those actors who know they are in a bad movie, but put forth their best effort all the same.

8 Likes

I love it so much that I keep my pants hiked up 24/7. Belt buckle to the side, of course.

7 Likes

HIKE! HIKE! HIKE! HIKE YOUR PANTS UP!
Hike up your britches like mine!

8 Likes

I love it so much that I regularly drink hot wax from jar candles, just like Phil Sandifer.

5 Likes

I love it. A friend of mine enjoyed it more though. He was enrolled in the gym. Doin’ real fine, too. Died in an auto accident.

Toga! Toga! Toga!

3 Likes

@squirk There is a thing called “Sampo’s Law”
from the beforetimes named after M Sampo, the longtime runner of an MST3K news website who always asserted that “ For every MSTie who thinks a particular episode is the worst thing MST3K has ever done, there is another who believes it is their finest hour.” so I think there’s a number of folks who love Daddy-O!

9 Likes

Daddy-O was my number one favorite episode for years.

It eventually got knocked out of the throne but it still holds a place in my heart.

7 Likes

I’ve always loved Daddy-O. I think the problem with confusing The Beatniks and The Rebel Set is that The Beatniks should have been titled The Rebel Set and The Rebel Set should have been titled The Beatniks.

10 Likes

What knocked Daddy-O off the throne?

2 Likes

A buddy and I were hanging out and his roommate bellowed “Daddy-O is on!” My buddy said, “You have to see this crazy show.”

I loved it and it remains a Top Ten episode for me.

6 Likes

I wear my belt buckle to the side in tribute everyday!

7 Likes

Daddy-O has many charms, not least of which is the surgical riffing of the musical numbers.

DADDY-O: You’ve got the devil in your eyes!

JOEL: And that hurts.

5 Likes

I love the score. In fact, you can pick up a few of his Star Wars tracks in Daddy-O. In Star Wars, when the Falcon escapes Tatooine, the tune that plays immediately when it cuts to Han in the cockpit and the ship is shown off the planet, that can be heard in an early form throughout Daddy-O. But overall, yeah, the movie is great fun (and the episode even moreso).

5 Likes