Amusing quote from my non-Mistie dad

My dad mentioned to me the other day that he was flipping through channels and saw an episode of MST3K, which made him think of me. I asked him which movie it was, and he said,

“I can’t remember… it just had the bubble gum machine and the guy who’s a desk lamp.”

37 Likes

That’s awesome!

5 Likes

I remember back in the late '90s when I stumbled on MST3K on Sci-Fi here in the UK, good times. My Dad was often present when I watched it and he thought it was great (he still gets a laugh out of “Big McLargehuge!” and “When you want the flavour of bacon in a dip!”). Anyway, one time ‘Jack Frost’ was on and at the point where Mike drops “How NOT to be seen!”, my dad laughed his head off and then he said:

“Rob, I think this show isn’t made for your generation, it’s made for mine.”

25 Likes

I have the opposite problem with my 83-year-old dad. He misses most of the pop culture references. He’s like unfrozen Captain America, bewildered by the other Avengers’ jokes.

6 Likes

C’mon, Mike isn’t a desk lamp.

13 Likes

… Cambot’s a desk lamp?

1 Like

That’s a cute story.

I remember my dad stopping in for a visit while I was watching “The Final Sacrifice”, and him laughing at the riffs, which was nice. Knowing your father got it, got something you loved.

11 Likes

Of course not. He’s a crimson pig.

6 Likes

Wait which bot was he referring to as a desk lamp?? Maybe GPC? :joy:

4 Likes

I’m scared to see the desk that she’s the lamp of!

1 Like

You’re afraid of a well lit workspace?

:bulb: Keep your desk dimly lit at all times. Where applicable. :bulb:

7 Likes

I’m scared of the desk large enough to require a lamp of her girth

2 Likes

Maybe he meant Joel? Lol

2 Likes

He must’ve meant Crow.

I mean, I suppose if you tilt your head juuuuust right and squint really hard in a dim light, Crow sort of resembles a lamp.

4 Likes

Gypsy looked like one of those anglepoise lamps, with her bendable neck and the flashlight on her head.

3 Likes

Crow does look like Lampie from the Brave Little Toaster.

4 Likes

Your love for the show had an impact on him. He even admitted he didn’t know which episode he saw. The simple fact it was MST made him think of you. That’s love!!

3 Likes

I’m just curious what channel did he find MST3K being broadcasted on these days? Is it still on TV in some overseas markets? It’s surely not on television here in the US as far as I know.
…not that it matters since the shows are super easy to find online.

2 Likes

He coulda had PlutoTV on his smarty pants television.

3 Likes

Comet had it for a while, but don’t think it’s on their schedule anymore.

1 Like