An idea.

Not sure how feasible the idea is and may have been mentioned already, but here goes. The ktma episodes or season 1 episodes re done knowing what we know now. Can be rewritten or added to,whichever works . add more jokes where it works, rewrite older jokes, host segments restored to hd. Possible with Joel and j Elvis, ideally with trace available. If available, can have their 3 silhouettes even just reminisce as they rewatch of BTS memories a la some of the recent livestreams. Probably a pipe dream, but would be fun :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Several of the KTMA episodes were redone during the Comedy Central years.

3 Likes

True. The gamera ones I remember. For me, growing up watching Thunderbirds and stingray and captain Scarlet, I’d like to see the TV movie versions redone. Think they were the first 2 ktma EPs, Gerry Anderson marionette stuff. Not saying all need redoing either, just maybe a one off here and there.

2 Likes

I wish they’d reriff Legend of Dinosaurs. That one was so wacky with the weird music and the interesting story.

3 Likes

The movies they riffed on at the time were movies KTMA had the rights to air and they didn’t look into future distribution, so they didn’t have to secure more rights than that. For the ones they didn’t re-do, I think they would probably have trouble getting the rights to them or they would have re-done them already. I can’t believe they would pass on doing a better version of Phase IV.

3 Likes

If they wanted to do another Emily and the Bots riff-along like they did with Moon Zero Two, I’d love to see them do one of the better KTMA episodes, like The Last Chase, SST: Death Flight, or City on Fire, which have significantly more gaps between riffs, but are still pretty watchable and funny on their own.

The biggest problem though is that a lot of those early KTMA movies were Film Venture International releases, who used extremely shady business tactics to secure the rights to show “clips” from movies/TV shows, and then basically rerelease the entire “film,” minus the opening and closing credits and any music cues. They eventually got the pants sued off them and went bankrupt.

A lot of the stuff, like the Stingray episodes used in Invasion from the Deep/Revenge of the Mysterions and the Space 1999 episodes used for Cosmic Princess, would probably be pretty difficult to rerelease in any sort of commercial fashion today. As an online live-streaming event that they’re not directly charging money for though… that may be more feasible. (And also the significantly lower picture quality wouldn’t matter quite as much)

2 Likes

It may be cannibalised from several episodes, but I feel that Captain Scarlet is far too good to deserve the MST3K treatment again.

Earlier iterations of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson’s Supermarionation effects (particularly Stingray, but to a degree Thunderbirds as well) are far more riffable from my POV.

On a complete tangent, am I alone in hoping that we may get a cameo appearance from Gerry and Sylvia in season 13?

3 Likes

Sadly, I don’t think Joel will revisit the Supermarionation films for the same reason he said he wasn’t likely to include animated films. Part of the fun for him seems to be in the subtle movements, choices, accidents, and quirks of actors which are usually less prevalent in animated or puppet-only projects. I’d love to see those, though.

2 Likes