An important poll about commas

The mayor of Minneapolis just declared a “Mystery Science Theater 3,000” day. The future of our civilization demands that we all be on the same page about that comma. It is time to decide which spelling shall reign supreme.

Make your preference known!:

• Mystery Science Theater 3000
  • Mystery Science Theater 3,000

0 voters

7 Likes

While I am an advocate of the Oxford Comma, I am not a fan of numerical placeholder commas in numbers under 10,000. Four digits are easy enough to distinguish without it. It looks particularly weird when the number is also a year.

16 Likes

That proclamation should have said November 22nd, 2,018 instead of November 22nd, 2018. Commas!
,!

18 Likes

In official proclamations, years should all be written out and start with “in the year of our lord”.

8 Likes

We have to determine what our community thinks before we break out the torches and pitchforks.

6 Likes

…Wait. What?

2 Likes

My good pitchfork is at the menders. Can I bring a rake?

2 Likes

Abstaining from the vote, because the more important question is:

WILL THERE BE MASHED POTATOES?!?!

3 Likes

Both potatoes and stuffing will be available after the poll closes.

7 Likes

When do we break out the TORCHA!!!?

12 Likes

I don’t remember where I read it but Joel once said that the “3000” was there because making products sound futuristic and amazing usually meant tacking a “2000” at the end. And while it wasn’t meant to represent a year, we were all slowly rolling toward the year 2000 which would then cease to be futuristic-y so he bumped up to 3K.

Years, serial numbers, and reference tagging all prohibit the use of commas. “3000” can fit in any of these. It certainly isn’t a count of something.

I should really just relax.

9 Likes

Nah. When it comes to commas, we’re too cool to use it on numbers!

3 Likes

I just like the opportunity to COMMAnt on this topic.

Fozzie Bear Muppets GIF

15 Likes

Did I misread something?

Coma

9 Likes

We’re just comma chameleons.

We come and go.

11 Likes

I hope I never see another comma as long as I live

6 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COMMAS

[whistle sound effect]

10 Likes

Take my advice. Don’t repeat your visit COMMA to Mr. Manfred PERIOD

2 Likes

Just voted. Now onto the next decision:

• Torch
  • Pitchfork

0 voters

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone would trust me with either, but I’ve always like fire. In a safe way, of course. :angel:

5 Likes