And now, a word -- I mean a riff from our sponsors

As much as every one seems to hate commercials nowadays, there do seem to be quite a few references to commercials included in the riffs made by our MST crews over the years. Since commercials are even more ephemeral than the TV shows they sponsor/infest, maybe some people don’t remember or have never seen the commercials the gang is referring to.

I once made mention of this old commercial

and @Lowkeeba posted a video of the commercial in question

While watching a bit of The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy before bed last night, I saw the Mads present their Chalk Man

which includes a bit taken from this old commercial

What other commercials do you remember being used as material for riffs? I know I heard them use “Ancient Chinese secret, huh?” in some episode, but I forget which.

6 Likes

Of course, there’s the well-known, “I thought you were Dale” quip, in which they mix up and mash up a Grape Nuts commercial with an Ivory soap advert.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s some “Where’s the beef?” related lines scattered around.

5 Likes

came from

9 Likes

“What was that waiter’s name?” “Jean-Luc!”

6 Likes

I just assumed Husker Du was a reference to the Minnesota rock band fronted by Bob Mould.

6 Likes

“Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible.”

3 Likes

I think we may have done a Where’s the Beef? this very season. Maybe more than one,

9 Likes

There’s also a sketch in Alien from L.A. where Crow and Tom are trying to remember the name of a supermodel and eventually decide it’s Where’s the Beef? lady Clara Peller.

7 Likes

There’s a whole wacky teen car full of Mentos refs.

I still bust out “you’re soaking in it.”

9 Likes

Do you want to make more references? Sure, we all do!

8 Likes

All the references to Yuban…“He never has a second cup at home!”

7 Likes

Which, of course, was also referenced in Airplane!

7 Likes

Glance Airplane Movie GIF by filmeditor

5 Likes

I remember the Pinpoint Marketing sketch that advertised Nelson cigarettes to Mike Nelson. Who knew then that web ad technology would be almost like that?

8 Likes

I think it was Crow that broke out “I love this place!” once and was quickly shot down.

8 Likes

I can’t find a copy of the ad, but when someone would dejectedly ask “Where are the savings?” it was a reference to an AT&T ad that was responding to the discount long-distance services that had been cropping up.

4 Likes

RELATED: there was an AT&T ad from way back in the day where this guy on a phone said some jazz, but I couldn’t remember it. It sounded like “SOMETHING SOMETHING PEACE SIGN!” There’s a very specific cadence to that.

Anywho, Pod People ACTUALLY had a reference to that ad when those guys picked up the phone! It was Servo’s delivery that made me think, “Yeah, that’s the ad!” And after poking around, I found it!

The guy was saying “BULA VINAKA, BEACHSIDE!”

9 Likes

OH MY GOD I’VE BEEN HEARING IT IN MY HEAD FOR YEARS AND I DIDN’T KNOW WHERE IT WAS FROM!

Like two days ago it came into my head and I thought, “I’m never going to figure out where I heard it, I need to stop dwelling on it all the time.”

It’s like taking off an uncomfortable pair of shoes!

7 Likes

fistbump

We gotchu, fam.

8 Likes