And the 14th Doctor is...

Ncuti Gatwa! The BBC just confirmed it!

19 Likes

I’ve never seen him before, but Wikipedia says he was born in Rwanda and raised in Scotland. Interesting history. He’s also won a bunch of BAFTAs. I look forward to seeing what RTD does with him.

I still think Paterson Joseph would make a great Doctor though.

4 Likes

Oh, I like it!

runs to make popcorn for the inevitable fandom freakout

6 Likes

I’m a bit of a fair-weather Whovian, so I haven’t kept up with it in awhile. Between this new doctor and the return of RTD I might just pick it up again

3 Likes

And I was so sure it would be Bill Corbett.

4 Likes

The Doctor is going! Welcome to the new Doctor! I hope they beat Baker’s record!

I say this for every doctor, or something approximate, even though most really stick to the 3 year term.

3 Likes

Pop Popcorn GIF by SkinnyPop

2 Likes

Apparently his first name is pronounced like “SHOO-tee”, fyi. BBC article here.

Although Russell T Davies often hypes things up (perhaps as all showrunners should do), he’s super positive, saying they thought they had found their new Doctor in auditions, and then as the very last one, Ncuti “came in and stole it. … I’m poperly, properly thrilled. It’s going to be a blazing future.” Also, the article says Ncuti has huge popularity among “late teens and 20s” due to his Netflix series.

My hopeful top two were Daniel Kaluuya from The Fades (though he’s very busy winning Oscars right now), and Zawe Ashton, a previous UK fan favo[u]rite prior to Peter Capaldi’s casting.

I’m very happy with this choice, both for my old-timey views of the series, and for the potential to grow its already large younger audience.

3 Likes

Never heard of him, but then I never know who the actors are when they are cast/announced.

Here’s hoping he has a better run of stories than Jodie.

2 Likes

Maybe the Chibnall era will all turn out to just be a dream Patrick Duffy was having.

1 Like

If anyone else still has Netflix, check out “Sex Education.” It’s definitely TVMA, but he’s sooo good in it!

3 Likes

Here’s to 50 years of the Doctor being anyone except a straight cis white man. :heart:

12 Likes

Not familiar with him at all, but I have faith in RTD and honestly they can only go up at this point (I loved Jodie as the Doctor but episode quality just wasn’t there as far as being fun)

2 Likes

I low key love how every other Doctor in the revival has been Scottish in some way lol

6 Likes

It’s all part of the grand plan for Scotland to take over the world!

Pinky Brain GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new Scottish overlords.

3 Likes

The Doctor has been Scottish two times already.

Scotland won a long time ago!

4 Likes

Since the BBC press release says “The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first person of colour to play the lead role.”, I’m guessing they don’t count Jo Martin.

Looking forward to him and RTD. There have been a couple new Doctors who I didn’t know well prior to casting (Tennant and Smith), so I have nothing against a fresh face. I hope he gets better showrunning than Capaldi and better scripts than Whittaker.

2 Likes

That’s a really good point. Jo Martin really was the first POC to play the Doctor, and she absolutely should be counted as such.

1 Like

If I want to be charitable, I could say that they are still deciding where the Fugitive Doctor fits into it all and therefore don’t want to count her until it’s settled. But I think it’s pretty clear she is an iteration of the Doctor and should count.

Also, am I alone in thinking that the Master has the same origin as the Doctor? The Master has certainly cheated death more than Time Lord allotment allows (even if you permit body snatching), and the episode was called The Timeless Children. Sure, the plural could mean the Time Lords, but it could also slyly mean the Doctor and the Master.

2 Likes