And Yet Another Terribad Reboot ... Velma

In the spirit of Night Court, Harley Quinn, Willow, Blood Origins, and just about everything else that the empty husk that is Modern Hollywood does these days…

I’m really not sure what they are trying to do here by taking a beloved kids show about a mystery solving team of friends and their talking dog and turning it into … this. But so many shows these days can be summed up by saying they are 45% “Bad Fanfic By People In LA” with 45% “Bad Shipping Story By People in LA” and 10% “Popular Intellectual Property The Writers Hate And Want To Subvert”.

6 Likes

And another worst thing about this show? Scooby-Doo is gawn.

2 Likes

I am avoiding this show like the plague.

3 Likes

Agreed. This show makes Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! look like the Mona Lisa by comparison.

2 Likes

WTF! Velma season 2 gets the green light!? HBO Max DOUBLES DOWN on Scooby Doo prequel! - YouTube

Somehow, this awful show is getting a second season.

Someone pulled strings or made payoffs to get that to happen.

2 Likes

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW HBO WORKS TO ME NOW? THANK YOU.

3 Likes

If you’re going to change something so much as to make it unrecognizable to the original fan base, why not just contrive something new?

Wouldn’t it be easier to just make up new characters and stories?
Michael Scott Reaction GIF

3 Likes

This feels like it was designed to court controversy. And it’s oddly edgelordy and mean spirited.

2 Likes

Harley Quinn does get better as the show goes on, at least.

4 Likes

I really enjoy Harley Quinn. I assume it’s cancelled.

2 Likes

Harley Quinn was renewed for a fourth season this past August.

Although I will say that what’s going on with stuff like TNT deciding against airing Snowpiercer’s fourth and final season (which is already in the can) - along with other similar events - has me somewhat concerned.

5 Likes

4th season is usually a good stopping point. After that, quite a few shows get a bit shaky in the quality department.

4 Likes

I like a show that knows when to quit. Legion was two excellent seasons with a perfect ending.

2 Likes

Because they can’t think up anything new. They just want to piggyback off existing properties (and change them).

2 Likes

At least with Scooby Doo, the various series are self contained so if you don’t like a current one, just wait a bit.

2 Likes

Well, that describes Harley Quinn and so many more of these shows that barf into intellectual properties. They seem to be written by adults who never mentally grew up. Then (somehow) they get to pitch a show and the only ammo in their brain is…

Hee hee hee … swears!
Hee hee hee … smut!
Hee hee hee … blood!
Hee hee hee … look we can take something people liked and smear our poop all over it!

None of these shows are good. They’re not funny either. They’re just pathetic, adolescent garbage written and run by empty, sad people.

2 Likes

Nope! Still alive. And will stay that way, if Zaslav wants to avoid a close encounter between Harley’s baseball bat and his yarbles.

I love the Harley Quinn animated series. There’s really no such thing as canon anymore where superhero characters are concerned.

The Velma show is like a stereotype of television in the 2020’s. Diversity as a substitute for quality!

4 Likes

Another thing I like about Harley Quinn- I don’t know that many shows explore the ups and downs of an LGBT relationship outside of specialized shows catering to that audience. It feels real and sincere despite it being a cartoon.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s nice that we’ve gotten to a point where they can show an ongoing lesbian relationship without every moment being OMG they’re lesssssssbians!

4 Likes

Me too. It’s just a fun, stupid show that occasionally touches on heavier topics, but not too much, because it also knows what kind of show it is. I can respect that.

Especially when it comes to the cartoon iterations. They’ve traditionally tended to go off and do their own thing, even if they do have strong elements of canon in them.

Although, I kinda want to chuckle any time someone brings up “canon” and Harley Quinn, since she was solely created as a kooky side character for BTAS, and was only later added to the comics because she ended up being SO popular.

4 Likes