Animated emojis

So is there any functionality in Discourse to allow for animated emojis? Another forum I was on had those and they were great; one in particular was of a cartoon dog convulsed in laughter and pounding the floor with one paw. I think it’d be fun to have something like that here, if the forum software allows for that.

2 Likes

Only if I can also turn them off, please, or choose a “play once” setting. I am easily distracted by motion on a page. That’s a significant part of why I run an ad blocker, otherwise the internet is like reading a book in the middle of the Vegas strip at night. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m with you. I’m trying to cook a one-pot pasta from a recipe blog, but there are 3 different video ads and banners swapping themselves out and I just want them all OFF MY LAWN so I can make dinner. Man I hate that.

What were we talking about… Oh, the animated emojis. Yeah, I too prefer a limited animation cycle, maybe 3 times, with further plays on click/touch. That’s how Teams manages animated gifs with reasonable success.

4 Likes

Discourse allows for custom emoji, including animated.

For places like Discord, where conversations move fast and everything’s in the moment, I dig an animated emoji now and then. Sometimes something is said best with a 32x32 loop of Picard facepalming. Since conversation continues to move, it’s on-screen for just a little while.

Forums,… it’s just… different. A skillfully selected and employed animated GIF can fit right in with the flow of the thread. But when every other post is animated, with fun colors and quickly moving shapes,… or when someone spams an animated emoji for two wordwraps to really make their position known…

(not hatin’ on GIFs, GIFs, GIFs!; it’s right on the tin and there’s an understanding of what’s going on there)

2 Likes

I wonder if there could be minimum a text to emoji ratio. That’d allow lots of emojis, but only if you also wrote a significant post.

2 Likes