Animated Movies

MST3K has always seemed to avoid one type of movie - animated movies!

I remember back during the original run of the show, some of us MSTies wanted them to riff on anime. The cast and crew actually said they wouldn’t do anime films as it didn’t fit in with the format of the show.

That said, there are some cheesy animated films that are good riffing material.

One that comes to mind is the big mind screw Gandahar, a French scifi film from 1980.

Gandahar (film) - Wikipedia

Some of the mockbusters too like Ratatoing or Chop Kick Panda are cheesy enough to have their own charm.

Anyone else got some weak animated films that are so-bad-they’re-good quality?

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s at all riff-able due to the fact that the movie barely takes any time to catch its figurative breath, but if you’re looking for bad animated movies, I can recommend the cinematic disaster that is Foodfight! Yes, with the exclamation point and everything.

I remember seeing an article in Newsweek on the movie about a decade before it finally got released, and even then the premise, where mascots for supermarket brands come to life when the grocery stores closed, struck me as completely bizarre. The article boasted about its use of actual name brands, blending product placement and entertainment in such a way that it felt utterly sinister to teenage me. So when the trailers for it finally popped up online prior to its eventual 2012 release, I remember having a flashback, like “wait… I know about this… it can’t be… oh no.

This film… is awful. The jokes do not land. The whole film is overtly sexual and crass in a way that becomes disgusting given the uncanny character designs. From an animation standpoint, most of the models don’t have their eyeballs rigged separate from the main mesh of their model, so they always stare straight ahead, and many of them don’t blink. There’s attempts at squash-and-stretch where you can almost see the polygons used for the models reaching their absolute limit, almost as if the vertices (that’s the points that connect the polygons that make up a 3D model) are about to snap and break. Many characters are motion captured, poorly, and their fingers are often splayed out as they would be when in a T-pose. Their hands are almost always in that pose, never at rest, only making gestures when absolutely necessary. And that’s not even touching on the poor writing, pacing, dialog, and stereotypes that people found plenty offensive a decade ago. It’s an ugly film through and through and is baffling to watch. So naturally I’ve seen it like 12 times.

The production itself is interesting because they had nearly completed the original cut of the film in the early 2000’s when their studio was robbed, with the computers that held the original files never to be seen again, and of course, nobody had anything backed up outside of the studio, so they had to start from scratch. The film had a high turnover rate for animators, many of them only working a couple of months before quitting. Eventually the film’s rights were auctioned off after the studio defaulted on a loan and it was squirted out onto DVD. The cast is full of known names; Charlie Sheen, Hillary Duff, Wayne Brady, Eva Longoria, Chris Kattan, Harvey Fierstein, Ed Asner and Christopher Lloyd (who I feel like his agent just really hated him for a period of time because he showed up in some absolute garbage for almost two decades) all show up in this thing and it is baffling. I remember I had gone to the theater with a friend to see Wreck-It Ralph, loving it, and then coming home and learning that Foodfight! had leaked online and watching that in a stream with a rowdy chatroom, and it was like a quality whiplash. At one point there was a 24/7 Livestream of the film running for a while run by an account called Charliesheendog and it’s responsible for me having seen this movie as many times as I have. This film wanted to be the next Toy Story. Instead, it ended up being straight-up dog garbage.

I bought this movie for a friend of mine for her birthday as a surprise and as soon as she got it, she knew I was the one who sent it. Because that’s the kind of friend I am.

5 Likes

Anything by Dingo Pictures would definitely fit the bill. Golden Films are also horrible in their attempts to cash in on Disney. There’s the awful Ali Baba movie, any of the terrible Titanic animated movies, or the various films already mentioned above…

It could be ‘fun’ if they did animated holiday specials for the big holiday show. Rap Sittie Kids: I Believe in Santa Claus is a truly horrific train wreck with top tier voice over talent and… nightmares(?) Terrible ‘writing’ awful character models, nonexistent animation, and it just keeps going downhill. The Christmas Tree is another awful animated mess, but at least the animation is better… but that’s not saying much.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m a crazy person but I would rather watch the hot mess that is Rap Sittie Kids and its bizarre animation choices than the barely existent, heavily recycled and utterly boring-looking Christmas Tree. At least Rap Sittie Kids would be a blast to watch under the influence of fun substances. The Christmas Tree is mostly dull… except the part where Santa explodes them kids at the end. Or at least, that’s how I chose to remember it ending.

Just thought of another animated movie with a troubled production that could be worth it if you like to punish yourself; Delgo. For a while, Delgo held the world record for the lowest box office draw for a film released in over 2,000 cinemas, and it was mostly self-financed; this film was a labor of love and that adds an element of tragedy to it when it sucks as bad as it does. And the result is a confusing mess of a film with more lore than can be crammed into its run-time, ugly characters, and CG that looks on par with a Playstation 2 cutscene. A pretty high budget Playstation 2 cutscene, but a Playstation 2 cutscene nonetheless. It’s a lot less interesting than Foodfight!, but at least it’s not a full-on assault on the senses the way Foodfight! is.

4 Likes

During the Q&A following the early online screening of the Reptilicus episode for Kickstarter backers, Joel had stated that he’s not inclined to use animated films because everything is planned and you don’t get weird spontaneous reactions that can occur with live action performers.

4 Likes

If you think that is a big mind screw, you need to see Rene LaLoux’s earlier animated sci-fi film, Fantastic Planet.

4 Likes

I’m the one who asked that question! Unfortunately it was so laggy when I’d tried to watch them, I didn’t hear what Hampton said was worse than Foodfight!

Honestly, though, Joel clearly hasn’t seen some of these specials/movies… preplanning? That’s highly debatable. Or at the very least, any preplanning was done super incompetently and then completely mishandled.

Even if they never touch them, there’s always stuff like Phelous and Cinema Snob who make fun of these sorts of movies.

3 Likes

I saw that one on cable ages ago. Those images look like a kitbash of a Monty Python cartoon, Hieronymous Bosch and a bad acid trip!

3 Likes

Titanic: The Legend Goes On, in which a dog inexplicably breaks into a rap number in the middle of the movie…

7 Likes

And the cast includes Mexican mice ripped out of the background players of a Speedy Gonzales cartoon. On the Titanic.

3 Likes

And yet… it’s probably the most ‘accurate’ of the animated Titanic movies…

2 Likes

That late 70s/early 80s era of ridiculous animated sci-fi/fantasy movies probably could yield some good riffing material like Starchaser, Rock N Rule, Wizards, The Flight of Dragons and Fire And Ice.

4 Likes

rappingdogsinkstitanic

I wish I had a larger version of this but when this movie first made the rounds on the internet in the late 2000’s, this image would be my favorite to come out of threads discussing it.

It’s just “Rapping Dog Sinks Titanic” movie to me now.

3 Likes

“In a thousand years, Gandahar will be destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can’t be avoided will be.”

3 Likes

This reminds me of a thread I saw many years ago on the Sci Fi Channel’s website back when they had message boards.

Some fan proposed an MST3K animated series. No, really! The idea was to have animated version of Joel/Mike, Tom Servo and Crow; part of the show would have them in the theater watching the awful mass-produced sludge from Hanna Barbera of the late 1960s and entire 1970s. The other part would be the adventures on the Satellite of Love.

That doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

2 Likes

There was an animated MST3K. Jim Mallon made it and no one else from the show was associated with it. It was a webtoon about the adventures of Tom and Crow. It’s terrible.

4 Likes

Not strictly true. Paul Chaplin was involved.

3 Likes

I just want you to know that I had suppressed all memories of that until this very moment. THANKS.

2 Likes

I forgot about that.

Whatever happened to Paul Chaplin anyway?

2 Likes

He works on the new seasons of MST3K.

2 Likes