anti-ellipses manifesto

I recently tried to use a whole bunch of periods in a row to indicate a comedic amount of time passing, but the forum said I had to instead use this thing ----> “…”. (Which was created by the website from the 6 periods I just typed.)

That’s not as funny. It doesn’t even indicate humourescence.

This is the summer of my discoursetent. Down with the ellipsesocracy! The time for period truncation is at an end. No lots-of-periods-in-a-row, no peace!

4 Likes

but why?

4 Likes

batman-thinking

2 Likes

… hmm…
hmm•••••••••••••

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

The name of the female lead? Ellie… short for Ellipses. And look at that negative space in the title logo!

1 Like

We must be hard lined on this matter. There will casualties along the way.

1 Like

Have you tried using multiple ellipses instead of periods? Like so…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

1 Like

I don’t know how to type unicode on websites. But, what if I wanted 7 periods in a row? You can only do multiples of 3. The key takeaway is that Discourse is enforcing weirdo things. This is just one of them. We took down big camelcase, the same could be done to the dots that be!

2 Likes

…….

I don’t see what your problem is, unless you object to the appearance of seven periods in a row composed of two ellipses and a period.

If you have a Macintosh, typing an ellipsis is as simple as holding down the Option (⌥) key and typing “;”. On iOS devices, long press on the virtual keyboard’s period button to bring up “…” as an option to type.

1 Like

This may be enlightening: http://www.geocities.ws/s00keyjane/roman.html

2 Likes

Link to the original New Yorker article.

1 Like
3 Likes

By:

I meant:

"the forum erased my lovingly placed many dots and replaced them with only three. It was telling me, “hey! Only three at a time, bud.”

I don’t want to type lots of dots spontaneously. Then, have to stop and count them up. And, then, reformulate their likeness. Let’s tell the Discourse big wigs that when we type things, we meant to type them and that’s how we want them to appear. We must draw the line on presto-chango formatting doctrine!

1 Like

I explicitly chose not to link to the original because someone at the New Yorker website decided to spoil the ending:

Click here for the dumb text you shouldn't have to read

SHOUTS & MURMURS about a shortage of periods. [The writer uses only one period at the end of this casual.]

Interesting. The forum is enforcing ellipsis substitution even when typed into preformatted text block. That’s clearly a fowl!

Testing……….

Doesn’t seem to mind it if the periods are pasted in as a group, however!

................................................................................
................................................................................
.....................................,~=,~=~.,..................................
............................,..,.,...~:.~.,.~=.=:~..............................
........................++,.+,:~,:.=.~.~:.=.:~~,,,:+++:.........................
......................,~++~...,~.,.,:,~,:=.,~,~:.+=,:=+===......................
....................~?,?.,..?.~..,.,....~+=,..=,~==,~+:=~=+:....................
..................????~:===...++++:...,+?...+?.~++.,:+I++.=++~..................
................?=.~==:?..::.=+~+++....++...=???:...?,.=..,?.+==?...............
..............,=+~:?I,??..+.......:?...=+...~?:.,...?=.?...?==++?:..............
.............I~?:+:=?~..+?:..+=?=~=,...,,.....,+??..+:.~?...I=+??,..............
...........7I++I??,+?I...=...:,:,.~.:+?~..?=...=:.~.=......?+~++==+~............
...........I++I??.?I~I,.,=....:..,?::.....?,=..,?.??+??.~,..=+~=++~+............
..........III+~I?~+,.~..~III.~=,,,?,.:?...?:.==.?.?==,,+.,I?II+.????............
.........,I?II??I~...:,II::,::=,..++......??..:??.~+,++..:??.::~:?+?+...........
.........IIII++=,,II?~:I,..,,.I=..?=???+:.=~~..:::.=II?..~?,,+???=~???+.........
........IIII~++?+?,,~,:+,...=::::.~=~~~:,:,,+,::~,+?,.:..~III~++,++~?+?,........
........II?II+?=?IIIII::??II~~~,,=.=,?:...,,~~:.=...=+~.....:=:,I:??:?=+........
.......=IIIIII?+I??==I+,,,,~,~?.?+~:.,.I?:.,???????.II????,..~==~+I+++??........
.......IIIIII?I?II:II?~:.+~..:=????,~..?+:.,:==I,.+.??~,,:,.,=.~.?:=~?:+........
.......III?I?++~?+~:,~..??I,,:??.....:,I,?~..::I.~=.???,::,.,~:.?,?I????........
.......IIII?IIII=?+,.:??:,I+.:??++?.:.??I??:.,:I?.,.:??=?...=+,?:I~?????+.......
.......IIIIII??I+?III+,I:,?I.,,?:,.,..?I,:?,:.,I,~,~,??=??=.I=+?:,+=I??+........
......?IIIIIII?IIII?=:~?I~,I:,=?=.??I.?+~,??~..=,+::,+=,~~+,I..?~=+?????........
.......IIIIII?I?I+?=,=:=I,,I+,=?+=~~,~,:.:..~.~....~.:::.+?~+,=?:~?I???+........
.......IIIIII?II++:I~::~I~,~~,..:~....?:...?I??.....??+.:==+=,++:+~???+?........
.......IIIIIIIII+?I?=:~~+:I~=:~:,I~???+...??,:+=.,.?,,=?:=:=,=+=?~????~+........
........IIIIIIIIII?~+:~=~:~III7,=~+?=:+I.:?=.,=?,.,?:::?.:~?=??~+~?????+........
.......?III?IIIII+==I++?=II?=II,.,?+,=~?..+...~?.~,?~,~I.::+=:==?:?????+........
........IIIIIII??I?I+++=+??III+,..+?.,.?,,+?+??+:,:?????==+:==?=+:??~???........
........III?II???II+I=III+?::,II:.~+???::,:=+~=+,...:.=+?=+,~=?+===????.........
........III?II?III+II?IIII+IIIII=~,:::,:===~:+:~++,=+===.+::===:???+~=??........
.........IIIII?IIII?I+II?~++==+=~==::..=~==++==:==:~~,,?~I,+:~+=?+=?+?,:........
..........7II?I?II????II+??=,,=~~:=+=?=====~=~+=++?,.+++??=+???=+++=+??.........
...........IIIIIIIIII?I+=~I??+++=+++?===++=+,,++==+~,~.=+?~++?~I=++?+:..........
...........~IIIIIIII?II?~=+=++?=II?++++++=++=+===+?.:=++++,==?+??~?~+...........
.............7II?II??III~+==I?=+?I+++=+===~~=====+~+=~=:+:~?~=~++:==............
..............,I?III+I?++=+IIII+I?:=======:::=,~~~~:::~=+=,::=,+~...............
...............7II????II+I++II==+=+====~~~=:=~~~~===~,~~++:=~~=~................
.................?IIII?I?I?++I?I=========~===~~==~~=+:~~==+:~?+=................
....................+II++===?=I?=?===~~=~=~~~=:~:~:~~,:=,.+~+...................
.....................+I+?+IIIIIII=~====:~==:~:~=:~:~~:=~==~.....................
.......................,??IIII=~~~+~~:~:~~~~~~~:~~~~~~~,:.......................
..........................,II==~~=:~,~:=:~~:~~:::~~,:,..........................
............................7=I:~~:~~~:~~~~::~:~:~..............................
................................=~~~~~~~~~~~~...................................
                                                                 GlassGiant.com
2 Likes

Fixed it.

… is an ellipsis. … is Morse Code for H.

EDIT: THERE… ARE… FOUR… DOTS!

4 Likes