Any comedians/comedy writers on here?

Just wondering if anyone else here was inspired by MST3K to become a comedian or comedy writer? Feels like there has to be at least a couple on here and I just wanted to say hi.

6 Likes

One of many influences. Also the Muppets, Kids in the Hall, Bob Newhart, Douglas Adams, the list goes on. I just thought why not?

5 Likes

I used to be both a comedian and a comedy writer (I had a hit YouTube show too) but it’s too competitive and there’s too much backstabbing. Plus I got tired of having to be constantly funny. Now I’m funny when I want to be and mostly just for friends and that’s fine.

6 Likes

I write humorous stories… well, they amuse me, anyway. I’m still trying to get published. And of course, I had a whack at a couple fan MSTings back in the 90s. And given the slightest opportunity at a pun, I will pounce mercilessly. :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve dabbled in comedy writing before. Lately my main outlet for it has been making YouTube Let’s Play videos and the occasional snarky review. Had to devote more time to the paid professional work, alas.

1 Like

I’m currently narrating comedy audiobooks for Librivox, which is a great way to work on voice acting skills, and I’ve developed several neat voices I’m looking forward to putting to other uses.

2 Likes

I am not, but I act like I am.

2 Likes

I make dumb jokes while I teach. If the students aren’t paying attention or if they misbehave, the jokes get dumber. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m in a local theater group and often write humorous sketches. Certainly the MST3K sense of humor is similar to my own. One piece was a spoof of kaiju movies where I recorded the dialog ahead of time, and we all did very bad lip-syncing without speaking on stage.

1 Like

I’m a contributing writer for an improv group that performs MST3K style riffing of old shorts (much like we watch on our beloved MST3K) called DeathByImprov

Shameless plug…

Also (while not comedy) while it never saw light of day, I was INCHES away from having a comic published by Avatar Comics. They were taking open submissions of their Friday the 13th books, I submitted a tale called Vicious Circle, that they liked…but…they also had just lost the license to Wildstorm (DC) and DC does not under any circumstance consider unsolicited pitches.

And so…it sits on a shelf on my bookshelf.

4 Likes

I laugh very hard at my own jokes, so… not me.

2 Likes

I briefly did sketch and improv when I lived in St. Louis. The highlight of my “career” was when (along with a few other people) I won a sketch contest. The sketch of mine we performed was about a conference room meeting of people coming up with bullshit social media holidays (forget the exact name). I think if I were to do it again, I would have collaborated more and not just written things by myself.

Now I live in the DC suburbs. If I lived in DC proper, it might be easier, but I’m 40, and I was already in my 30s when I was doing improv and sketch–I wasn’t the oldest, but I was close.

2 Likes