Any fans of Tabletop RPGs?

About 1981, TSR put out another RPG and this one was a science fiction one called Star Frontiers.

Yes, that ad is taking a swipe at Traveller from Steve Jackson Games (makers of GURPS) for being easier to learn. I’ve been seeing YouTube videos about Star Frontiers and may try it. Anyone here play it?

4 Likes

I actually played Traveller; we were Jackson fans, what with Car Wars and O.G.R.E.

The thing about SJG, you sometimes have to pare down the rules a bit…a lesson he learned later in life.

I think my cousins and I played it (Star Frontiers) at a table at a con once, but that was so long ago, I don’t remember.

3 Likes

I played Traveller a couple of times. Seemed pretty fun to me.

1 Like

I remember buying it but I don’t remember actually playing it. It just seemed very generic and didn’t really grab anyone in my group enough to care.

2 Likes

A very belated reply – I have minimal experience with D&D… but I do really enjoy watching others play. I have invested in some Kickstarters for games and/or bundles via Humble or ItchIO, but haven’t really opened anything up yet.

1 Like

I have played Traveller extensively. There are quite a few versions published by different companies over the years. The original creator, Mark Miller, still is involved with the game. Though he is mostly retired.

I have also played Star Frontiers and it is also a fun game, but it is quite different from Traveller. For one thing, Traveller takes place in a huge interstellar space while Star Frontiers takes place in a single solar system. Rules are more D&D-like, but given that it was published by TSR that is not a big surprise. Traveller was more about creating your own adventures given the huge scale and open mechanics (3d6), while Star Frontiers had an established setting and characters.

The real fun of Frontiers was the aliens you could play. While Traveller has aliens, they tend to be Star Trek like. With dog and cat people.

While in Star Frontiers, you could play a Shmoo!

Dralasite

These guys were my favourite. Very slow shapeshifters.

They also had Sneeple, Robots and Big A$$ Bugs.

While open like all rpg’s, Star Frontiers put a bit more of the focus on combat as opposed to Traveller where combat was often something to avoid.

Unfortunately, Star Fronties did not survive into the new century. But there was a recent attempt at a revival, but it has not turned out well. They are involved with a NASTY lawsuit with WotC, and there are a few reports of the new version being racist and anti-semitic. :face_exhaling:

But if you find some old books (pdf’s), I would recommend giving it a try. Certainly easier to get into than some. Quite the campy feel too.

3 Likes

Wizards of the Coast still holds the rights to the game; PDFs of the original material are available for purchase on DriveThru RPG.

There have been retroclones too of Star Frontiers. I came across one version that adapted it for the Savage Worlds game system.

I’m not insinuating that one game is better than the other. I don’t believe that one RPG system (DND, Pathfinder, GURPS, Savage Worlds, d6, d20, etc) are better than another; different systems do different things. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

3 Likes

And then there’s FATAL.

1 Like

That seems like business as usual for Gary Gygax’s horrible son Ernie, who is behind the attempt to revive the TSR brand.

3 Likes

I just read through the rules for a game called Fabula Ultima, which bills itself as a tabletop JRPG. I’m not big on JRPGs, but it’s a cute, lightweight RPG that captures the feel of the genre pretty well. It seems like it would be a good introductory RPG for the kiddies.

2 Likes

It’s worth pointing out that “fabula” is a literary analysis term for “the actual events being recounted in a narrative” and “ultima” is related to a Latin(?) root for “final”.

Gee, I wonder what it’s trying to invoke with that name?

2 Likes

The Hivers weren’t exactly a Funny Forehead alien.

2 Likes

That’s fair. I admit I was a little glib with Traveller there. But between the Varger and the Aslan (really?) I had to sigh. :roll_eyes:

But most settings don’t have great aliens. Except maybe Eclipse Phase. They got the Factors who are basically intelligent mold whom we communicate with via computers. There are other aliens, but we have not met them. And that is probably for the best.

2 Likes

Looks like there’s a new game from our buddies at Onyx Path. They Came from CLASSIFIED! looks like the 60’s spy themed cousin of Heston and the bots’ favorite 50’s sci-fi/horror themed RPG They Came from Beneath the Sea. I guess your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to check it out.

3 Likes

Oh, are those finally out?

3 Likes

As far as sci-fi goes, my main experience was with Alternity. The rules were a little wonky, but the species in the main book were fun, the art was gorgeous, and I LOVED the Dark*Matter setting (though a lot of it hasn’t aged well).

2 Likes

For those who are interested. There are 3 days left in the Planet of the Apes RPG Kickstarter.

They already made goal, but you can get a Statue of Liberty dice Tower or plastic fig’s. Including the Lawgiver and Dr Zaius.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magneticpressplay/the-official-planet-of-the-apes-role-playing-game?ref=8enxv8&gad_source=1

2 Likes

Attention classic tv sci-fi geeks!

1 Like