Any fans of Tabletop RPGs?

You know… I watch the commercials for Onyx Path Publishing (the RPG company sponsor of season 13), and I never realized they are apparently the successor of Sword & Sorcery Studios, who published a d20 setting called the Scarred Lands… I actually have a couple of their books from back in the day. They also own the old White Wolf World of Darkness games (Vampire: The Masquerade, Mage: The Ascension, etc.)

1 Like

Little bit of self-promotion in the RPG department, my latest adventure is a stretch goal in this campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warehouse23/the-fantasy-trip-quick-quests-6-and-7-two-new-adventures

It’s Quick Quest 8: The Maddening Song. A number of my other contributions are also available as add-ons, as are quality modules and adventures by other writers.

I am delighted to see fellow Mystie’s keeping the RPG flame alive. Keep those imaginations running wild.

And for those who are looking at D&D and are not in love with 5th, might I suggest 2nd ed. That version had possibly the most flavor text assigned to everything. And THACO was actually really fast and easy. You calculated it during character creation and you would instantly know the results of your die rolls. Quite elegant actually, if you can get past good armor being a lower number rather than higher.

And for those who might be interested. The One Ring recently came out with a 2nd edition as well.

Enjoy

1 Like

2nd edition was good. I really liked all of the first 3 (or 3.5) editions. I’ve sometimes thought the perfect system would be 1E with the skills and feats from 3E tacked on.

1 Like

2e had the best settings. Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim, and especially Planescape.

1 Like

All the settings were interesting. I loved Forgotten Realms during 2E… boxed sets and fat sourcebooks packed to the gills with stuff.

1 Like

For anyone that likes Mutants & Masterminds, their new book Danger Zones went live for preorder recently. Even if you don’t play M&M specifically, the maps alone could be quite helpful to anyone who plays games set in modern settings.

1 Like

And today, Green Ronin just released The Guide To Starhaven for M&M. This almost like the heady days of 2e when they released two full books less than a month apart.

1 Like

Voting is now open for the 2022 ENNIE Awards.

Anyhoo, I went ahead and bought the Starhaven book, and will be buying the Danger Zones bundle (pdf is only $5 when you pre-order the print copy) this weekend. Reviews forthcoming.

1 Like

How did I miss this thread?

Yeah. I play just about everything and collect weird RPGs.

My favs are Deadlands, the FASERIP Marvel system, Paranoia, Werewolf, Hackmaster, Stuperpowers, Staged Heroism, Necessary Evil, and Big Eyes, Small Mouth.

And of course, the best comedy RPG of all time:

Been running TOON games at conventions for over 24 years now…

Geeze, I feel old.

3 Likes

It had been buried for weeks with most people posting in the D&D specific thread.

Until, that is, I used my dark powers to make the thread arise, ARISE, up from out of the depths! Mwa-ha-ha-haaa!

1 Like

Speaking of weird RPGs, have you heard of Spicepunk 1997? Something that I found in an itch bundle and have been wanting to inflict on a group for ages.

1 Like

Bah. That explains it. I mean D and D is great, and all, but I crave the weirdness only obscure titles can provide…

No! That’s amazing! I would LOVE to have it inflicted on me!

Lately, I’ve been into Staged Heroism, the unofficial Venture Brothers RPG.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/388652/Staged-Heroism

1 Like

I’ve been gaming since 1987. The past few years have been some of the most gaming-rich of my life, playing one night a week with both of my groups.

I’ve played all sorts of stuff over the years, but these days I’m most comfortable running Powered by the Apocalypse games. (I love playing to find out what happens.)

1 Like

I’m gonna be running a one shot of it soon; DM me if you’re interested.

1 Like

Ah, Toon! This was that strange, semi-mythical thing that I heard about for years but never saw for sale anywhere. Even my eyepatch-wearing friends never seemed to know anything about it. Eventually they started selling it on the Steve Jackson Games website and I finally got to read it. I’ve just dug out the pdf for another read because of you.

1 Like

A friend of a friend is running this kickstarter, if interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterwrangler/monster-wrangler-relaunch

1 Like

Glad to hear it! Toon always needs more love!

Heck, I’m running Toon at Gen Con this year! If you’re there, come check in! DM if if you wanna play!

1 Like

That’s a few thousand miles away from me, unfortunately. Friggin’ lack of transporters.

1 Like

For several years in the early ‘90s there was a guy at GenCon running a game of Toon with characters from The Tick comic. Those were some fun times I still have vivid memories of. Like convincing the Man Eating Cow she could drive a car because she didn’t have opposable thumbs. Or myself as Paul the Samurai using zen and the Pass Shoddy Objects skill to pass through a collapsing Aztec pyramid because it must have been very shoddy to have fallen apart in the first place. Or the guy playing 88 Keys who hadn’t done much the whole game taking as his action winding up the car window in response to a chunk of the Cuyahoga River being summoned right above the car we were driving in.

Those were excellent times.

3 Likes