Any hikers or backpackers here?

I used to go camping back in the day but I don’t anymore. My wife only in the last year wanted a tent and decided on this 9 person Core Equipment Instant Cabin Tent we setup in our backyard…

She uses a queen size air mattress

and even has her own ‘thunder-bucket’ :laughing:

She has no interest to actually go roughing in the woods nor go to an actual camp site as she doesn’t want to risk any interactions with critters, coyotes, or black bears known to roam the local wilderness, so she’d rather go Glamping :smirk:

4 Likes

That still looks dangerously like roughing it to me.

3 Likes

Last year, I went hiking on part of the Cannon Valley Trail, a 20-mile paved trail connecting Cannon Falls and Red Wing in Minnesota.

It rained very heavy during part of my trip; even with a poncho, I had to duck into an attendant station to wait out the rain. The attendant station BTW is for collecting fees - it is free to walk, jog or hike on the trail but if you want to ride a bicycle or skate, you have to buy a wheel pass.

I found out today that someone found something else that had taken cover in that same attendant station I had ducked into…

FB_IMG_1687991675288

I wonder if they paid for wheel passes.

6 Likes

What a hike! Today, I walked almost 25K steps and about 10 miles…burning 1119 calories too!

On the downside, I ran out of snacks and water. I may need to bring more next time; it is important to keep your strength up and stay hydrated when hiking.

3 Likes

Hiking is awesome.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/kings-peak-utah-highpoint-trail

Last year I did most of this hike. I didn’t make it all of the way to the top of kings peak because it started kicking my butt, but it was still awesome. I did about 20 miles in twelve hours. Still bummed I didn’t make it to the top but maybe I’ll try again this year.

8 Likes

Hiking is incredible, and I used to enjoy walking and running all over the dang place. From the Grand Canyon to the Apache fortesses of the Chiricahuas. You can explore where Lucas filmed Tatooine just West of Yuma; where you can also fish for channel catfish and bass, or swim in the sandy Colorado river.

Up North, you can explore a place called Grand Falls, it has a higher elevation drop than Niagara, with fresh mud baths, and fresh, underwater caves that you can explore (this is still AZ, mind you!) and the water is as clear as day.

There’s a route you can take from Flagstaff, all the way to Sedona, via a back road that winds through some of the prettiest meadows full of deer and elk you 'd ever want to see. It’s called “Secret Mountain Wilderness”.

Then there’s Hannagan’s meadow, in the Eastern part of the state; I visited, and did not want to leave; you can find pics online of this place!

Waaay South, near the border, you can find numerous older indigenous home sites with pottery sherds, stone axes, and other cool things to find.

There’s also a little known place called Gisela, it’s got water, trees, wildlife, and some of the coolest, little known boulder climbing in the state.

I can’t do much walking anymore, as spinal stenosis (L4,L5) and two herniated discs (C3, C4) limit my ability to enjoy the outdoors as much as I used to.

3 Likes

One of the hardest hikes I’ve done is to a place called Table Rock. You do about 4,000 feet of elevation gain, starting at about 6,800 ft and ending at just over 11,000 ft. I’ve successfully climbed it twice in my life and failed once. It’s beautiful because, at the top of Table Rock, you get the Tetons spread out in front of you. The view is absolutely amazing.

This is the last bit of the way up. You can’t even see any other mountains ahead, just Table Rock.

The view is worth the climb.

The canyon on the left leads to Jenny Lake which is south of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That’s another nice hike although it’s twice as long as Table Rock. But it doesn’t go as high.

7 Likes

What do you eat when you go hiking?

As for me, I take snacks with me like chocolate, meat sticks, dried fruit (dried cranberries or “That’s It” fruit bars), cookies, hard candy and maybe some energy gels. I’m a day hiker and hiking burns a lot of calories.

My hike yesterday burned about 1110 calories but thru-hikers on a major trail (Appalachian Trail, Contintental Divide Trail, etc) can burn 4000-6000 calories a day!

I mentioned dehydrated & freeze-dried foods briefly on the regrettable food thread - some people like bringing those when they go backpacking. My biggest problem with those? They are expensive!

Mountain House is the best one I’ve tasted; I bought a few of those off Amazon just to try them and I was surprised at how good they tasted, especially the biscuits and gravy. I don’t take these outdoors though; these Mountain House meals are sealed away as part of my “emergency supplies”.

I know of other brands out there like Readywise, Peak Refuel, etc. but never tried them.

4 Likes

Oh, I’m a light snacker on the trail - just a granola bar will get me through the day after a high-protein breakfast. I’d rather have more water than more food.

Plus, I like to finish a day hike right around happy hour. No other beer tastes as good as that one. :beers:

3 Likes

Lots of water. If it’s a long hike, I’ll take a lunch (nothing extravagant, just a sandwich, chips, some kind of dessert). But I’ll also have granola bars and fruit snacks.

2 Likes

We are amateurs, but we make our own gorp! I’m not a big nut fan, so most “trail mixes” are :nauseated_face: to me…hey, why not make your own? OMG! Why didn’t I think of that!! So our gorp was yellow raisins, shelled (I had to shell them…lol) pistacios, M&Ms, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, cashews and dried banana chips. YUM!

4 Likes

Oh yes! Gorp…that means “good old raisins & peanuts”. There’s tons of recipes for that out there. Here’s one I found:

GORP {a.k.a. the original trail mix} - Barefeet in the Kitchen

I’m going on another hike this Saturday. I actually ran out of snacks on the trail last time so I plan to bring more - I’ve got a Bob’s Red Mill PBJ bar, meat sticks and more dried fruit. I’ll see if I can grab some hard candy like Charms or Lifesavers.

There’s a good reason why military rations usually contain mints, chewing gum, chocolate and hard candy. Those are not just for morale; they are good for a quick boost of calories!

2 Likes

Some of the gear I take when I hike…

IMG_2703

This is military surplus; it’s a Romanian military shoulder bag that I carry most of my gear in - first aid kit, food, etc. I prefer to travel light and this works better for me than a knapsack, day pack, etc.

IMG_2704

For water, I carry a 1-quart military style canteen. The shoulder strap was bought afterwards and was not part of the original purchase. I prefer carrying it over my shoulder rather than hooked to my belt.

1 Like

I like a good old chewy CLIF bar.

2 Likes

When I was a Boy Scout, we went to New Mexico for two weeks and trekked 50 miles around the mountains - sleeping on the ground, collecting our own drinking water from streams and trying our darndest to avoid bears.

I still hike, but now I only sleep in a big bed with my wife.

4 Likes

I finished a hike of just over 27K steps and 11 miles. What a hike! This time, I had plenty of water and food with me.

The only casualty? My sneakers. By the time I got home, they literally were falling apart.

1 Like

It was when I was putting in over 10 miles a day on my feet that I found out that shoes have mileage…and some shoes are only good for one use!

I ended up buying some nursing shoes, they held up pretty good to constant wear.