Any MSTie woodworkers? I'm looking for a project.

I’m a woodworker and I love doing projects in my garage. However, I’m stumped for a MST3K-themed thing to make from wood. Anybody ever seen such a thing or have an idea?

3 Likes

Hi Not Tv’s Frank!

Good to see you here buddy. :slight_smile:

I’m not a fine woodworker by any means, but I do like doing a bit of construction and projects of the like (side note, the amount of things you can fix with wood trim is amazing, haha).

If you’re looking for some ideas, I always thought it would be cool to have a wood MST 3K style lampshade. Possibly something that looks like the planet logo, silhouettes, or even characters (the image in the link below lends itself to characters given the color scheme!).

This would have to be like a pendant lampshade or something:

https://www.homedit.com/11-ingenious-diy-lighting-fixtures-to-try-out-this-week-end/

If you wanted to get SUPER crazy, I also thought it would be amazing to have a wood reproduction of the SOL as a coffee table with a piece of glass over it. This would be like three feet long, so not something small.

Just some thoughts. I’ve got other ideas too, but wasn’t sure what you were looking for.

4 Likes

All the ideas! That’s what I’m looking for. Thank you, I appreciate it. Not gonna lie, a wood SOL model would be lots of fun. I might have to grab some stills from the show and The Movie.

3 Likes

I picked up a replica “movie sign” console from the Satellite of Love bridge. It’s made of wood and painted silver with three fake lights - red, blue-ish, yellow. Perfect world, the lights would be functional, but still a neat collectible.

So, any set or prop replica like that could be fun. Maybe film reels from the SciFi era? Coin holders for the Kickstarter backer coins, Rifftrax coins, etc.? Wood and glass/plexiglass display boxes for MST3K Funko Pops, upcoming music box, etc.?

Best to you, and avoid the splinters!

2 Likes

Have you done any shadow boxes? Those can be so gorgeous and I feel like it would work super well :thinking: I’m imagining them as first row the classic crew watching/pointing, and the next layers are the movie they are watching?

2 Likes

Heyyyyy, that’s something I hadn’t thought about. Plus I have a scrollsaw that could use some attention, and some thin scraps to plywood and luan. After that I just need to pick a scene and go from there. Interesting…

3 Likes

Film reels should be doable. Coin holders sounds very attainable, too. I ought to find something to do with them.

4 Likes

Since I turned into an old man I picked up woodworking as well, so I am excited to see what will happen in this space.
I have been playing around with an idea for a lamp, and will post some more once I have a better idea on how it will end up looking.

2 Likes

A Tom Servo lamp would be pretty rad. Or the SOL, standing on end.

2 Likes

One of the big tools that I don’t have (yet) is a lathe. I can imagine turning a replica of Tom Servo. How cool would that be?

4 Likes

@BobN, stop giving me ideas that I could use as an excuse to buy another tool.

2 Likes

One of the first things I did when i got my scroll saw was the traditional MST Logo with Joel pointing. It looks awesome, and in walnut it may be overkill but i don’t care! LOL

5 Likes

I have a largely untouched scrollsaw that I inherited from my wife’s great grandfather. I will consider this a required project.

2 Likes

Custom signs, frames and memorabilia shelving are the only woodworking things I’ve come up with

9 Likes

Very cool designs!

I do adore those frames. And where did you get those two posters? I’ve never seen those before, and now I desperately want to see two movies that will never exist.

1 Like

How about this?

It’s the Router Ouija Board! Or the “Number of seances since last injury” sign in the background or, best of all:

4 Likes

Chainsaw art of Tom Servo.

1 Like

The posters I got at the last live show. there were 5 of them and they’re all awesome!

1 Like

I am not a woodworker either, but for my Krewe’s upcoming Patrick Swayze Christmas party I decided I’d make a little wooden Rougarou for one of the members. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

1 Like