Any Svengoolie fans out there?

Growing up in Chicago during the dark times before MST3K, Sven on WGN helped me develop my love for cheesy movies. He was “Son of Svengoolie” back then…

For those who are unfamiliar—he’s sort of the “Elvira” of the Midwest.

He’s still doing the same Schtick today, like 30 years later—every Saturday night on MeTV.

27 Likes

Yup, watch it most Saturdays since it arrived on MeTV

Sure, the puns are corny, but he’s still a lot of fun. (The running, Perry Mason gag, during “How To Make a Monster” made me laugh, for one).

Plus he, as himself, was a guest of the Mads (and the Mads have been seen on his show as well)

8 Likes

I live in the Detroit area and try to watch him every Saturday.

8 Likes

Yep, got hooked on him because when I would come home from soccer matches all hyped up in the summer, Sven would just be coming on and I would flop on the couch and watch the show before bed. I also grew up watching the great Sammy Terry and the oddness of Joe Bob Briggs, so Sven very quickly wormed into my chicken-throwing heart and I watch whenever I can!

8 Likes

I have to give you a like for Sammy Terry :grinning:

4 Likes

Frank Conniff is a big fan!

6 Likes

Whaaat?! I had no idea! Couldn’t get his show for many years after leaving the Chicago area. If anyone has any details (which episodes etc.) I would love that. Thanks @JakeGittes!

7 Likes

It makes me so happy to hear that. Thanks @rodneylives

7 Likes

Seems like he used to be on later in the evening—or maybe we were just younger and bedtimes earlier…

4 Likes

At this time (3-4 years ago), he aired in my market from 10-12mid. The soccer games would run from 730-920pm, then it would take me about 20-30min to get home depending on traffic. So perfect timing! (He airs at 8pm now, so I miss him when I’m at the games.)

3 Likes

Dad jokes work best when you’re a little exhausted and/or not entirely sober. The later at night you’re watching, the funnier he is.

A lot of it’s pure cornball, but every now and then there are some genuine snort-laughs.

5 Likes

They were were in the “Zombie Stomp” song with musical guest Freddy Cannon. And did a walk-on during She-Wolf of London.

16 Likes

Gah! She Wolf of London re-ran here a couple weeks ago…and I missed it!

Thank you sooo much for finding this! It’s magic when two things I love collide.

retro peanut butter GIF

7 Likes

I think I heard that Kevin Murphy likes Svengoolie too, but I forget where. Frank tweets about Sven sometimes (and has a generally great Twitter feed in fact).

5 Likes

I plan to check that out. Thanks for the tip @rodneylives!

5 Likes

Love Svengoolie, happy he’s on here now in Detroit. My dad got me into MST and the ghoul as a kid best father to son gift and time spent ever :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Many happy memories. When I hear that theme music I feel like a kid again for an hour.

I love the lead-ins where he tees up some joke after the commercial and when the movie comes on again the first line of dialog is the punchline. So clever.

7 Likes

Yes, I’m sure there are! Love me some Svengoolie, use to catch it on TV late night randomly. I understand I need to get MeTV or something to watch him on Saturday nights now?

6 Likes

MeTV seems to be the best option for those of us outside the Chicago market. (If you can get it where you are)

6 Likes

Yes, but it does not air in my area. Grrr. :angry:

6 Likes