Arcades and Miniature Golf

Those hideaways that define your youth and perhaps still do. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Putt Putt. Quarters, Tokens, Burning Through The Cash. Kids everywhere, no adults in sight. You love them now? Is one better than the rest? You play today?

2 Likes

Kudos to @Armetus and @FlyingSquid on inspiring this thread.

3 Likes

A slice of the culture. Trailer to King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007).

I miss the age of arcades greatly and deeply. When I was a kid my parents very rarely took me to arcades; in my teens I rarely found a way to the mall and those few times I was there it was uncommon for me to have quarters to blow; I got to go to arcades for a brief time in college, but then arcades practically died out.

I feel cheated.

1 Like

Arcades were surviving prior to Covid-19. I’m not sure what their status is today.

I worked in an Aladdin’s Castle (owned by Namco) arcade in the 90s. One of the worst jobs I ever had. Noisy, obnoxious kids, and I had to clean every single game top to bottom every night when I closed.

And then there was Christmas…

1 Like

Bodily fluid probably took on a whole new meaning.

1 Like

On a more positive note, I spent a lot of my teenage years in this arcade, which was down the street from the urban park where all of us freak kids hung out.

Space Port, in Bloomington, Indiana. The building no longer exists. The interior decor was very much in the vein of Rock Jones.

So many of us have fond memories that a Bloomington T-shirt shop sells Space Port shirts. I have one.

2 Likes

Any favorite machines?

Joust would be my favorite arcade machine of all time, and Funhouse would be my favorite pinball table.

2 Likes

I think the arcades I used to go to are all gone now, but they were a big part of my teen years. Maybe one day I’ll be rich enough to have my own arcade room, and it will be glorious!

2 Likes

Oh, man. I liked going to Aladdin’s Castle in the local mall when I was a kid. If it helps, I was the timid, quiet type failing at Arkanoid and Gauntlet and not taking up much space :laughing:

2 Likes