ARE YOU READY FOR FALL? It’s time to VOTE your picks for four of the episodes to be featured in our 2022 Turkey Day Marathon!

Can I have the 90-foot Dolemite?

4 Likes

And Cherokee Jack cause what else is there in life?!
(He’s in skydivers right?…shoot dang I forget)

1 Like

I’m not watching time chaser or space mutiny or fracking’ hobgoblins this year if there up and win I’m out!
I would like episodes that arn’t as well known. 403, 404, 511, 518, 623, 624, 703, 704, 705, 807, 809, 811, 910, 911, 920, 1010, 1013, 1114

6 Likes

No, no, you’re thinking of the Coleman Francis movie with the incoherent story, the misanthropy, the poorly-dubbed dialogue, and the light aircraft.

3 Likes

Wait isn’t that most C.F. Movies?! Lol
But really which one has Cherokee Jack in it?…

1 Like

I think it’s Red Zone Cuba

2 Likes

Hey, me, too. I wonder if I double-voted, voted sequentially, or if none of it counts because I don’t have Facebook or whatever someone was saying up-thread.

The what? I don’t understand these words in this order.

Not to harp on “The Last Drive-In” but there’s always one episode a season that is exactly that. The Sledge Hammer/Things double-feature will always be a part of me. :ghost:

2 Likes

Bad take. What if you haven’t seen an episode in years and you don’t remember if you like it or not? Then shouldn’t you give it another chance? Personally, I think every episode should be given a fair chance because every episode has someone that loves it. I don’t agree with your idea that Turkey Day is for only the best episodes. It’s for any and all MST3K episodes. There have been quite a few episodes that have been shown on Turkey Day that I don’t care for. Carnival Magic is one of them. That is literally my least favorite episode of the entire series, but I know a lot of people who do like it. And I’m not gonna take that away from them. And yes, I would vote for the “worst” episodes just to see some variety. I don’t want to watch Manos, Space Mutiny, and Mitchell every Turkey Day.

4 Likes

So much this. If a season one episode ends up as one of the options for this Turkey Day, you bet I’m gonna vote for it. Every episode deserves the same amount of love.

3 Likes

I’m absolutely going to vote for episodes that haven’t had a Turkey Day showing over episodes that seem to get constant play.

We’ve all seen Space Mutiny eight billion times. I’ll vote for something rarely seen as an alternative. There’s 200 or so episodes to this show, I’m all for spreading the love beyond some of the same 2 dozen that are always popular.

6 Likes

The copy of Hellcats I have on DVD was the one they sold solo, rather than as part of a set. Same with a few others, like Red Zone Cuba. These were the movies that they didn’t want touching any other movies.

UNPOSSIBLE

EVEN THE WORST EPISODE OF MST3K IS NOT THE WORST EPISODE OF MST3K, THAT’S HOW MST3K IS

5 Likes

Hey, harp away on that all you want, I -love- me some Last Drive-In!

But yeah, in agreement with ya there.

Or to even look at -our- show, we never had Hercules Against the Moon Men figured into the Turkey Day Marathon until last year. Yeah, the Sandstorm sequence is a punisher, but it somehow made the communal viewing experience here even more enjoyable.

3 Likes

My one-and-a-half cents, for all they’re worth: vote however YOU want to vote.

If you want to vote for a comfort food episode that’s made the rounds for Turkey Day Marathons in the past, go for it!

If you want to vote for an episode that never got its day in the Turkey Day sun, give it a whirl!

Just vote the way you want to. Be the change you wish to see in the Turkey Day Marathon world!

[suddenly has a sinking feeling about his "I will absolutely vote for The Castle of Fu Manchu" policy] :rofl:

4 Likes

If that was the case then sure … but that’s NOT the case and that’s the point. Hellcats is in the Gizmoplex and it’s been in regular rotation on the Twitch channel and it’s been available on DVD and Shout for ever and ever and ever. It’s on YouTube every minute of every day. It’s not an episode that has been buried in the sands of time only to be gloriously unearthed for Turkey Day 2022. It’s an episode that’s been commonly available, regularly shown, and routinely disdained as … let’s be frank … a sub-par outing for MST.

Skydivers is in the same boat. It’s not a secret sauce that MST only trots out for special occasions. It’s been around and around and around a long time. So both eps are well-chewed. Makes far more sense to select the BETTER of the two.

You don’t have to. There’s plenty of eps to churn through without dipping into the below average episodes. Even if it was just a top 50 group there’s 5 years worth of episodes to rotate through.

As always, its a matter of scale within the universe that is being measured. The default posture is that MST3K is always better than most other forms of entertainment. But that doesn’t mean that of the 200+ episodes that there isn’t a ranking of quality within that 200. So it doesn’t mean a ‘bad’ episode of MST is “bad” when compared to all entertainment. It just means that a 40% episode (like Hellcats) is not as good as a 90% episode like Day the Earth Froze or Danger Death Ray.

I would like episodes that arn’t as well known.

Who wouldn’t? But at this point we’re not going to see Godzilla vs. Megalon, or Attack of The The Eye Creatures, or Return of the Creature, or The Deadly Mantis. The options on the table are episodes that are in the Gizmoplex and have been constantly cycling on Twitch for 3 years. There are no episodes that are less well-known at this point … at least not that we will have access to. It’d be nice if some of the Season 11, 12, or ever 13 eps were put up for Turkey Day. Maybe we’ll see that this time around.

I personally don’t have other people’s confidence in rankings (even my own). Maybe because I don’t have the same communal experience. I’ve never watched MST3K on Twitch, and only occasionally on Shout; I never thought of “I Accuse My Parents” as being great until a re-view about 5 years ago; I loved “Lost Continent” but I don’t think I’ve seen it more than once, etc.

I guess I don’t think it’s very important relative to the shared experience. I will watch something “bad” with other people rather than watch something “good” by myself. (Though I will do the latter as well, to say nothing of watching something “bad” by myself. Heh.)

I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen Hellcats. I loathe biker movies. (But I love Sidehackers. Isn’t it ironic?)

Eyuck-goo!

1 Like

Nobody does it like Fu! I’ll def vote for that terrible flick!

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. Everyone’s tastes are unique and when measuring on an INDIVIDUAL level there will always be tremendous variety in what some people consider ‘good’ or not. I’m a statistician by trade, and I know from experience that no matter what you measure there are always the 3rd deviations out. No matter how lousy something is, there are always a few people who will say it’s the best thing ever. No matter how great something is, there are always a few people who will say its awful.

But the thing about statistics is that it is really good at identifying what is good for most people. And in that sense even MST3K episodes will have a scale of quality that on a POPULATION level is undeniable. Individuals may like a particular episode … but the opinion of a population will define it’s true quality rather than the idomatic level of quality a single person here or there might give it.

And in the population level analysis? Skydivers is the “better” episode compared to Hellcats. Of that there is no question. When determining what to serve up to a large group of people, it is always better to go with the population level rather than catering to the extreme tails in the dataset. So when we are given a choice between Hellcats (a subpar episode that’s been in common rotation) versus Skydivers (an average episode that’s been in common rotation) … neither of which has been a TD regular … the logical pick is Skydivers.

1 Like

Maybe I’m a more casual fan, but I don’t have YouTube or Twitch running episodes constantly. When I want to watch an episode, I pull it up on the Gizmoplex site. So using the “this is in constant rotation on XYZ site”, isn’t a good metric either for selecting Turkey Day episodes.

For us, Turkey Day is event TV. (when we’re not doing the whole family thing for a couple of hours). That’s about the only time the TV is on and constantly running MST episodes, so yes, I’d like to see a wider variety of episodes than just the “fan favorites”.

The other thing to keep in mind, we as fans aren’t choosing all of the movies. So I’m sure some of those “fan favorites” are already planned anyway.

5 Likes

I’m well aware that the episode is available pretty much everywhere, but I’m not watching MST3K everyday. I actually haven’t seen one in months. Shocking, I know. But I have other things to do, and sometimes I forget about certain episodes and want to rewatch them. I’m sure there are others who feel the same way. And when they just happen to be an option for Turkey Day, I will vote for them. I don’t see it as this glorious overlooked gem like you seem to think. I just want to see the episode. I understand that Turkey Day is only once a year and you would want to save only the best episodes for that occasion. I just don’t see it that way personally. Turkey Day, to me, is just about chilling and checking out some MST3K episodes. Whether classic or not, any (legally) available episode should be given the same opportunity to be on Turkey Day as all the rest of them. Even if it’s a “bad” episode, there are still some people who do like it and will enjoy seeing it. And for those who don’t consider it a favorite, they’ll probably still enjoy it because it’s MST3K.

I’m voting for Hellcats because I want to see Hellcats, damnit.

6 Likes