Arts & Crafts Mega-Link Sticky Thread?

I was looking at @B-Side’s jacket link and recalling some other cool plans people had put up and wondering if it wouldn’t be conveeeeenient to have a single sticky post at the top of the A&C section just for “recipes”: Costume patterns, bot builds, maybe recipes or how-to draw (e.g.) Tom Servo.

Basically just thinking it might be nice to have a “one-stop shop” to make all the “doing” stuff (as opposed to appreciating what others have done) in one very accessible location.

What do you think, sirs?

5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Everyone, I need help! A few years ago I made a bonehead cosplay and it came out great. The only issue was the life jacket. I was able to find a white one in the right style, but it had giant logos on it and I wasn’t sure how to get them off. I needed up lazily spray painting white over them and it worked well enough for a rush cosplay, but I ended up being kind of mad about it and threw the jacket away. Now, I’m trying to redo it and I can’t find any life jackets in the correct style at all. Anyone know where I can get one? @B-Side any thoughts?

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yes! The type of life vest I built mine off of was a Texas Rec Super Soft life vest, since that appeared to be the same base as the ones on the show (or at least close enough for cosplay purposes).

Adult_Vest_Yellow__51154.1449779317.500.750

The whole reason I ended up building my costume when I did was that one came up in my size on eBay for $20-30 instead of full price - it might be worth setting up a saved search there so that when one in your size comes up, you can snag it, or shopping around online to see what retailers have them on sale.

4 Likes

And what did you do to get it the right color? I literally found a white one and other than that, I really don’t know what the best way to do it would be to make it come out right

1 Like

A few coats of matte white spray paint, once I had cut out the portions I was cutting out. There are a few spots on the inside of my vest that aren’t completely white (and I probably need to give it another coat before I use it next, since I’ve now spotted a few external spots that could have better coverage. the joys of trying to do this when you don’t really have a yard :joy:).

Alternately, once you’ve got a decent base coat with spray paint, you can go in with a matte craft paint to get some of the hard-to-hit spots.

UPDATE: just found some in-progress photos from that part of things:
21100337_837128989923_355595730_n 2
21396904_839432533603_1009166895_n 2
21326030_839428636413_1890909823_n 2
21325829_839501400593_1393874123_n 2

5 Likes