Arty stuff

There is a “high-art” type gallery-space in Brooklyn called Pioneer Works. I was shocked and (somewhat) pleasantly surprised when I saw this article on their website about MST3K. Even though it reads like a college term paper, there’s something funny to me about such a highbrow lens on such a low-fi show.Pioneer Works “Watch Yourself Watching”

1 Like

If reading term papers about MST3K is your thing, allow me to recommend In the Peanut Gallery with Mystery Science Theater 3000: Essays on Film, Fandom, Technology and the Culture of Riffing.

3 Likes

The opening essay by Rick Sloane on the making of Hobgoblins which opens the volume is the best entry. The rest IMO mostly consists of pompous academic bores with their uninspired bloviating on MST3K. The one that really grated my cheese wasn’t actually about MST3K, but rather used MST3K for support as he channeled the spirit of the late Senator William Proxmire. Borrow it from a library for the Sloane essay (there was also an interview with Trace conducted at MIT which is also worthwhile).