As A Woman I'd Like to say this

You are the nicest misanthrope that I’ve ever met.
penguin hug GIF

10 Likes

This brings me happy. Well I mean you’re a misanthrope, so this is your thing right?

2 Likes

I saw a documentary once, by a fellow named Art, who had some pretty convincing evidence that women are a myth. I’m glad he was proven wrong.

14 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I was already quite proud to be a part of this community, but this post easily doubled my pride. I’m so glad this community is as welcoming as it seems to me.

Thank you again for sharing.

10 Likes

But we don’t want the Irish!

1 Like

Sez you!!

2 Likes

MSTies are a unique band of misfits. I hope you’ve attended some of the live shows where you can instantly fit in. I think that comes across in this forum, too. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’m a woman and I have always felt welcome in the MST3K fandom too. MST3K was always very feminist-friendly. I’m also grateful that they have consistently included women as key members of their staff and writing room. Beez ,Mary Jo, Bridget, and the rarely-mentioned Colleen Henjum, who got Emmy and Cable Ace noms multiple times for her MsT3K writing.

14 Likes

Perhaps MSTies have channeled all our rude, disparaging, insensitive comments at bad movies so there are none left to hurl at each other.

13 Likes

There are very few places that allow people to be themselves. Before the Queen movie came out that fandom was mostly welcoming. If you don’t like Adam Lambert though keep it to yourself. Once the movie was released it was all complaints that the US had it first. They rarely throw the US a bone, let us enjoy feeling like we matter. They also treat my city like crap. It felt like being kicked out of fandom. Now I only follow a few fan pages and the loving friends I met through fandom.
When I was a teen there were other fandoms that I was interested in. It was easier to be anonymous then. I eventually lost interest in those. College made it hard to find time to delve into fandoms.
My interests vary too much to take part in most fandoms. Movies were a huge part of my childhood. B-movies have become my drug of choice. My ROKU has a lot of B-Movie channels on it. YouTube has public domain movies available. It used to be only my cats would watch these with me. Now my mum does, and she puts up with me talking back. She won’t let me watch Manos while she’s around. sniff:cry: (Really, there are plenty of worse movies. :roll_eyes:)

4 Likes

MSTies are my favorite fan base to hang with. Sure, there are some naysayers but that’s in every group. But what I do love is that by and large, disagreements or such is 90% of the time settled with “hey, you be you, dude/dudette.” It’s quite refreshing compared to that fandom from long, long ago in a galaxy far away.

10 Likes

A potential solution:
Show mum Hamlet. Once.
You’ll be able to watch Manos whenever you like after that.

2 Likes

That’s really great to hear! I’m done with fandoms, and I think my kids are too for many of the reasons you stated. Here’s to healthy online discourse and, dare we hope, community!

10 Likes

Even before the Kickstarters, before we were direct investors, the fandom was like that. ConventioCon 2: Electric Boogaloo was hands-down the most drama-absent convention I’ve ever been to. The closest thing to any negativity that we got was funny looks from the J.C. Penney’s Retirees convention going on at the same time… but even that was just funny looks.

(Not the weirdest pair of conventions sharing the same space I’ve ever encountered. One year in the 1990s, they had Marcon (local SF convention) in the same hotel as a convention for funeral directors, morticians and embalmers…)

8 Likes

The MST/RT ghouls exist on the FB pages, and their vitriol isn’t directed at women so much as it is general whining with acronyms spliced in. However, it’s FB and we’re all idiots. I know I am! Also, Lesley and Ivan have a low tolerance for such folderol and balderdash. I’d use other words, but they rightfully won’t let me.

9 Likes

I like foofaraw, too. It needs more use.

7 Likes

Oh the insinuation of sanity! :joy:

4 Likes

What’s all this hullaballoo!

5 Likes

That is some unfortunate booking, as I expect the J.C. Penney’s Retirees / Morticians conventions would have had significant interest overlap.

3 Likes

Omg AMEN.

4 Likes