Assignment: Venezuela - The "Lost" Short

This is actually my favorite of all the shorts. Made for a failed CD-Rom project. As for the short, it’s weird, extremely dated and very badly-made, which resulted in some top-notch riffing! I wish there was a version without the timecode. I’m going to link to the Gizmoplex and Tubi versions of the short because the YouTube version is terrible in quality.

The unriffed short if you’re masochistic:

10 Likes

I find it overly shouty and aggressive. I always feel like I’d be safer watching it from across the room. :confused:

5 Likes

I always feel like the wide/narrow bit is something of a reach and goes on a little too much. The short is okay, but I think the great ones like Design for Dreaming and Young Man’s Fancy are better…

3 Likes

Surgical enhancement!

4 Likes

I love how the short was aiming to promote a sense of enjoyable living in Venezuela for oil workers, but right after showing a nice home that a company employee could live in, abruptly shifts to the disappointment of quonset hut living.

6 Likes

Yeah, the whole thing was, “come on, isn’t Venezuela great? Isn’t it? ISN’T IT?!? Please work here.”

3 Likes

“It’s practically not at all like the US!”

I find this one amusing. Sure, husband, go live in the other hemisphere while I take care of everything back home. I’m totally fine with you taking any old company housing available. It’ll be fun packing up our lives into two suitcases. Getting malaria sure sounds swell! (Although I could be extrapolating…)

3 Likes

No. No, that’s pretty much word for word what my wife said when I got assigned to Venezuela. Except for the malaria bit – malaria in Venezuela has only become a problem in the last 5 years or so as the country has abandoned all pretenses of modernity.

Speaking of which, what did Venezuelans use for light before candles?

Electricity.

Thank you. Thank you. I’ll be here all the week. Tip your servers, they work hard. Try the veal.

5 Likes

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO, YOU BLEEPING MANIAC!

5 Likes