Assignment: Venezuela

I’m usually the last to know things, but just in case anyone else missed it: among the shorts added by Shout Factory in the past few months is Assignment: Venezuela. I don’t own any of the discs on which this was officially released so it’s still pretty much new to me.

12 Likes

Nice. Assignment: Venezuela is my favorite short. I’ve introduced several people to MST3K via that short. In a lot of ways, it’s a definitive experiment.

8 Likes

That is a good one, and something of a hidden treasure. Pairs well with Progress Island.

8 Likes

I emphatically agree! Also, between the two of them you can make a short movie night for friends who don’t quite know MST3K.

4 Likes

It really is one of their best riffed shorts and it’s a damn shame that most folks never got to see it because it was part of that aborted CD-ROM project. There’s a whole other short that they riffed for that project for Voyager but lost the original materials to about Mylar that really is the holy grail in the MST archives.

If the original is never found, I’d love to see the Mylar short riffed with the new casts. Maybe even keep the same script from before if that exists as a Wordperfect document from 1995.

8 Likes

On the same floppy disc as some Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets, one assumes.

6 Likes

“Oh, OK … CD backslash WP 51 …”

5 Likes

Still looking for UART@FX105.

2 Likes

I was watching Starfighters a couple nights ago from the Shout disc, and the closed captions read “UR dot FX105.” I can see how UART would sound like “UR dot” to a transcriber unfamiliar with that obscure technical term, but it’s a pity these little jokes are getting lost to history.

2 Likes

The short is a bonus on the Killer Shrews dvd in Mst3k volume 7.

3 Likes

For some reason, I’m always confusing it with Progress Island USA the Bob Crane short on Porto Rico.

3 Likes

Not really surprising since they’re both travelogues in a Spanish-speaking country.

2 Likes

Progress Island always makes me a little sad because Bob Crane doesn’t say “If we learn to care for others, to respect others we’ll learn how to care for, to respect our country.”

5 Likes

Well, if it isn’t Mr. Wide Road.

2 Likes

Well, they’re all done with Venezuela… they don’t need me to do it…

4 Likes

“The first thing that surprised me on that ride was-”
“Being sucked though a time portal”

2 Likes

BAG-O IN CAR-O! :smiley:

Summary

I’m getting tired of the site questioning my posts when they’re a little short, especially since I can’t get around it except by writing more. Pshaw!

7 Likes

I think the riff is actually “Well, if it isn’t Mr. Big Lake!”

But I love all the narrow and wide riffs.

3 Likes

“I’ll have another Coke!”

1 Like

I can’t help watching it from the perspective of his wife. “Gee, honey, it’d be swell if you could find the perfect quonset hut for us in the company town! By the way, I demand fourteen ceiling fans and beige everything!”

3 Likes